The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite

1970? SG Standard

Hi,

I recently got this SG Standard from a friend. The frets were nearly non-existent so I had it fitted with new Jescar 47104's. At one point it had the obvious neck crack. The guitar is completely original apart from the frets. Have to say it plays and sounds real nice now.

Any idea from what year it is? The logo has the closed o's and the dotted i. It has a small neck volute. Serial number is 922047. The pot codes are hard to read, xxx52. My limited knowledge (based on Google) says early 1970?

Plus, the tremolo arm is missing, any tips on where to get one in Europe?

Re: 1970? SG Standard

I’m no expert but think you’re probably correct with your early 70 date ...I have one that’s similar but lacks the Made In USA stamp ...mine had EMGs along with pot swap mods ..I put 550k pots with a pair of early rs/fralin True 60s pups ..it’s an awesome guitar and has a really beefy/round neck shape..just picked up mine a couple months ago

Quote Originally Posted by garywright View Post
    Iím no expert but think youíre probably correct with your early 70 date ...I have one thatís similar but lacks the Made In USA stamp ...mine had EMGs along with pot swap mods ..I put 550k pots with a pair of early rs/fralin True 60s pups ..itís an awesome guitar and has a really beefy/round neck shape..just picked up mine a couple months ago
    EMGís.. properly made it a great guitar for metal

Iím loving the pickups (T-Tops) a bit more aggressive than your average PAF. Really nice for just about anything.

Thought I'd give an update.

I've got a replacement Maestro 'sawtooth' tremolo arm from Crazyparts. It fits in beautifully and works just fine. Not unlike a Bigsby I would say.

The ABR bridge has collapsed over the years so a Faber was bought to replace it. I didn't notice much difference in terms of sound but it improved the string action noticeably.

These small changes really turned the SG in a great playing and sounding guitar. It stays in tune remarkably well and I'm really loving the sound of the T-Top pickups.

The next/final thing is to clean the tuners and loosen them up a bit. Some are quite stiff but luckily there are tons of guides how to fix this.