• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Please school me on Les Paul heel contours

Big Daddy Class

I have several Les Pauls and rank them on sound, how they feel when played (and holding them), how they look, etc. The one I consider my "best playing" (but not necessarily the best sounding, just the one that feels best to hold) is a Les Paul Standard Prototype 2016 that I got from a contact at Gibson who got it from "the Vault". I do not have much info on it other than a printed sheet that he gave me with some specs. It was never intended for production but my friend says it was made in the Custom shop--"a custom standard". I will say it is a superior fit and finish over some of my other Les Pauls Only today did I figure out why it is my favorite to hold and strum--it is the heel joint. Having only a little info and nothing to compare it to online (since it is a one off prototype), that got me wondering what the heel is called? There is nothhing on my spec sheet about the heel and I can find little info online nor on a search of the forum. If I have missed threads about this, please forgive me. Can someone detail for me the different heels available on the Les Pauls? It is not an Axcess heel. Nor is it the flatter more square type that is on my other Les Pauls. Please advise. Photos attached20200215_122944.jpg20200215_123005.jpg20200215_123014.jpg2016 Les Paul Standard Prototype whole guitar.jpg2016 Les Paul Standard Prototype in Case.jpg

Big Daddy Class

The only similar ones I can find are the "High Performance" models and that may well be the simple answer--"High Performance". It does not have a belly cut. Nor was it made with Robo Tuners like all of the other HPs of that year. Came in a USA case, black with grey fur inside (mostly pictured, but not the outside). Has the titanium nut and saddles, and gold speed knobs but came with Amber tophats in the case and both are listed on the spec sheet. Curiously, it does not have the usual prototype hand written serial number but does have an interesting stamped on serial number--160000003, which I find unusual.