• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Trip To LA

R8 Flame Top

We are planning a trip to LA in March or May. What area should I stay in? I want to be close to the clubs and guitar stores. I will have a rental car. I have heard there are some areas to avoid in LA. Any help would be appreciated!!! I have never been to LA. What clubs and guitar stores should I plan to visit.

Thanks!

LeonC

LA's a biiiiiig place. What kind of music are you hoping to hear?

Guitar stores are spread out over hell's have acre. Here are a few suggestions. You have to visit the Guitar Center (vintage room and acoustic room are great!) on Sunset in Hollywood. There are one or two other stores within walking distance, but not as great as the old days.

Truetone Music in Santa Monica is great. Great pedal selection.

There are a few shops worth visiting in the valleys and Burbank -- Norm's Rare Guitars, California Vintage, LA Vintage Gear, Imperial Vintage Guitars.

Clubs are spreadout too. I don't think there's any great "locus" for rock per se or for "blues"...but what you can see is going to be a function of who's in town when you are. The club I'd probably want to visit if I was on vacation is the Baked Potato on Cahuenga in Studio City. My band, AbSOULute (8-piece r&b/funk/rock), plays in Venice Beach monthly and we're playing in Playa del Rey on Mar 14. I've always got one of my CCs with me, and usually a strat :)

If it was my vacation, I'd probably want to stay somewhere near the beach...Santa Monica, Venice, Marina del Rey. Maybe cheaper down in Marina del Rey or south bay but you're a bit further from "the action." Studio City is where the Baked Potato and Universal City is too...lots of out-of-towners visit there. Lots of night clubs ... e.g. Viper Room around Hollywood.

Lots of other ideas...but it depends on what you want to do and see...

Guitar Whiskey

Everything is spread out in LA. It's not like going to Nashville where there is one major core area. You may want to research if there are any acts you want to see in the time period you're there. Consider staying in the general proximity to that venue because travel time in LA can blow your mind; I mean hours. I would NOT stay around Hollywood personally; it's OK to visit but a tourist trap. The Hollywood Guitar Center is pretty good as GC's go. Visit Norms in Tarzana, True Tone in Santa Monica and Imperial Vintage Guitars in Sherman Oaks.

If you like the beaches most Europeans (don't know if you are one)I know like the Santa Monica area. The south bay area; i.e. Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, etc. is pleasant. Downtown LA has a vibe but can be sketchy. Stay out of South Cental LA unless you like to live dangerously; no real attractions here anyway.

The Canyons offer a unique experience and were the place to be in the 60's historically speaking; i.e. Laurel Canyon, Topanga Canyon. Nice to visit but not really the place to stay. Also Malibu is favored by many. For another perspective the Getty Museum is interesting and free; the Griffith's Park Observatory is fantastic with great views and things to learn. Very international.

I'm sure you'll get more input on this topic.

jb_abides

Great advice on this thread, I'd go with Santa Monica or Venice Beach as a base...

Don't forget the fish tacos! :salude
c45b0010f1e88f2d7e62492d39297e03.jpg

workerunit

So, how is you trip to LA going with the Public health Department and Governor Newsom's Shelter in Place orders??
I kinda hope you where able to postpone that trip.

R8 Flame Top

Thanks for asking. Yes we were able to postpone our trip. I'm not sure when we will be able to reschedule it.

straightblues

LA is different than almost any city in the world. Everything is spread out and there isn't any walking. It is just a bunch of tiny neighborhoods thrown together. Just showing up, like I do in many US cities each year, does not work here. You will not find what you are looking for. And certainly you won't find it within walking distance.

On the other hand, we have everything here but you gotta drive to it and know what you are looking for. You won't just randomly come across it like you would in almost every other city in the world.

So, let us know what you are after and we would be able to plan a great trip for you. What music do you want to see? What food do you want to try? Do you want beaches? What kind of shopping are you wanting to do? What kind of museums are you interested in? What type of guitars and music gear do you want to see?