• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Garageband vs Audacity vs FL Studio

michaelroy

Hey guys, For a long time I have been looking for a music composing app. I am a beginner in composing and would like to try out a few songs. I have a Macbook Air at my place. Which is the best app for MAC if I want to compose music?

Phil Shepherd

I think as you are new at this and you have a Mac, you should surely go with GarageBand. It has a very good interface along with host of features that should surely meet your requirements. Though I recommend garageband to you, I am using Audacity. As, Garageband is only available for Mac systems, and I have a windows system for now. Do you know some way to run Garageband on my windows laptop?

michaelroy

I think as you are new at this and you have a Mac, you should surely go with GarageBand. It has a very good interface along with host of features that should surely meet your requirements. Though I recommend garageband to you, I am using Audacity. As, Garageband is only available for Mac systems, and I have a windows system for now. Do you know some way to run Garageband on my windows laptop?

Thanks @Phil Shepherd For solving my problem!
I think you can use garageband application through Virtual Box windows application. I found this article on internet where complete tutorial is mentioned on the process to run garageband in your windows laptop. Hope it will help you. Cheers!

zacknorton

All DAW's do basically the same thing. If they don't excel at basic recording and editing they don't deserve to exist.

Just learn how to use what you've got. PLENTY of youtube tutorials on deep functionality for every daw.

Once you've gotten whichever program you've got relatively down... THEN you'll be able to make a somewhat educated decision RE which daw is the one you want to work with.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Audacity is so-so for UI.

Garageband works in close to real time whereas Audacity has to render effects.

michaelroy

Thanks guys! Garageband solved my problem. Now, I am expanding my setup and thinking to upgrade to a wide screen monitor for music production. I am thinking to go with LG 22MK430H-B monitor. My budget is around $200. If you have any other suggestion, it would be helpful. Thanks.

akstrat61

I use two monitors and the amount of space for different things is really helpful. MHO

torren61

I've used Garageband for years. It's a pretty intuitive DAW. Try Native Instruments Guitar Rig for a good amp sim if you don't already have one. Here's a link for a free demo. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/guitar/guitar-rig-6-player/.

I also use UAD Apollo Twin Duo for my audio interface and record my amps using mics through the Apollo. I have a Two Notes Captor X as well to record my amps but using IR (Impulse Response) cabs. I kinda prefer my own cabs, though.