• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Missing a few strands of stranded wire a problem for pickup wiring?

ADClope

This might be a stupid question lol, but I'm used to using the single conductor braided wire for pickups, push back the cloth, solder it up.

Just installed a set of WLH's into my les paul and it is the 4 conductor wire. When stripping the wire using the correct gauge and set of wire strippers it seems that every time, it pulls a couple 2-3 strands of wire out with the insulation. I tried a couple different times, but it always cut a couple strands of wire. So I just twisted it up, tinned it, and soldered everything together.

Works fine, but I got to thinking, does this affect anything? Has anyone else had this happen? Just didn't know if it had the potential to adversely affect sound/tone or anything?

Thanks!

PaulD

Thin pickup wires can sometimes be difficult to strip with some types of wire stripper, I usually find it easier to do with a razor blade. However a couple of missing strands will make no difference whatsoever provided you have a good joint and the remaining wire is not weakened enough that it it likely to break.