• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Collector's Choice vs Murphy Aged??

LeonC

View attachment 11152

So in the end I did the only logical thing..neither a Murphy Aged OR a CC! LOL

Decided to road trip to Chicago Music Exchange and found this beautiful Heavy Aged Made 2 Measure 1954 LP Custom. Feels amazing and the tone was unreal, plus the aging looks fantastic. Little nervous about the P90's and the noise from them but I can always put some hum canceling P90's in there if I need to.

Excellent. May you enjoy it in good health for many years! Now...more photos please :salude

solsurfr

Not an owner but I have always heard that the Aged Mike Mcready ?? (Pearl Jam) model is pretty highly regarded. :salude

I have Murphy-Aged and CC's. Both are runs are really good and it's just a matter of finding one that talks to ya. I have a McCready signed/aged and a nonsigned/aged. They both are really nice guitars. Feel like they've been gigged hard for 30+ years. I also have a Goldie #009 that has a stellar top and very fun to play. My newer Murphy-aged guitars have all the latest appointments and love playing those as well.

Jared Purdy

Here's a tough question..I have sold 2 amazing Les Pauls to get one ultimate one! It's the only logical thing to do (said my inner G.A.S. monster) and even though I don't mind driving 10 hours or so to sit down at a dealer and play through their inventory, I can't find any options to do so. So I guess its off to Reverb. I am looking for an authentic 59 experience. Looking for something aged (otherwise an R9 would do) and have it narrowed down to collector's choice and Murphy aged 59's (and a Rick Nielsen aged). Any thoughts from owners on these? I want this guitar to feel old and play amazing and sound like sweet heaven!

Have you considered Mark's Guitar Loft? Lots on his web site, and he has a Murphy right now. There's also a really nice Murphy painted at the House of Guitars in Rochester. It's not on their web site, but if you email them, they'll send you photos.

SeanT since 1999

IMO, cosmetic ageing only looks old. Genuine imitation wear and tear, an artful simulation meant to fool the eye, and for many, the mind. They don't look authentic too me and certainly do not feel, sound or play like an old guitar.

I'd spend my energy in finding a great R9. Well chosen, musical, great examples can be found and they can be extraordinary, surpassing expectation in the best way. Great Bursts aren't about fake wear or the appearance of age. They were just as great when new.

My favourite R9, bought new 20 years ago tells a true tale and is extraordinary. That's how you get the Burst Experience.

My favorite R9 turned 20 6 months ago!

SeanT from 1999

C-4

As was mentioned above, picking the right Historic is how I feel it should be done, unless you go M2M.
When I look to buy an LP Historic, I check as many dealers on the net as I can find. When I find a guitar that I am interested in, I want all the specs on it, like neck carve and dimensions, pickup readings, weight, everything, and I want a sound test.

I cannot drive to any dealer to try squat where I live, but asking the right questions, and having a good return policy can make up for not being there.

I have chosen via phone calls, two exceptional R9's in the last year, so I know it can be done.
Patience, asking the right questions, good photos, and having a person doing the testing that knows about what you are asking, is the key.

While I have bought many CS LP's from the dealers listed here over the years, and that is where I start my searches from, my last three CS R's were bought from other dealers who I felt had patience, knowledge, and just as importantly, a really nice selection to choose from.