• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Collector's Choice vs Murphy Aged??

ex2music

Here's a tough question..I have sold 2 amazing Les Pauls to get one ultimate one! It's the only logical thing to do (said my inner G.A.S. monster) and even though I don't mind driving 10 hours or so to sit down at a dealer and play through their inventory, I can't find any options to do so. So I guess its off to Reverb. I am looking for an authentic 59 experience. Looking for something aged (otherwise an R9 would do) and have it narrowed down to collector's choice and Murphy aged 59's (and a Rick Nielsen aged). Any thoughts from owners on these? I want this guitar to feel old and play amazing and sound like sweet heaven!

axeman565758

......or have you thought about the M2M program. Build your guitar to your exact specs...paint/color, neck size/profile, type of top, pick your weight..etc.
I have my 3rd M2M being built as we speak. I could never go back to production models now. More exepensive?? oh yeah...and worth every darn penny

Tim Plains

Based on the one CC I've owned and few I have played, the in-house aging feels/looks somewhat cheap. Murphy aged is better. Truthfully, if you want the ultimate Les Paul experience out of a new guitar, get a replica.

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
There are only 3 or 4 CCs that really speak to me, and even in those series, some examples are way better than others. On the other hand, IMO most '18 and '19 Murphys are pretty consistently amazing. In other words, I can find one I like almost every time I care to look. So (for me) I'd have to lean Murphy.

I guess if there's a CC model that has a special meaning for you, it's worth hunting for the best one of those you can find. Be aware, though, that strictly as LPs, they are no better than the other high-end Custom Shop guitars. It's all cosmetic.

One final wrinkle: if there's a particular original Burst that just does it for you, consider having a replica built. Working with the builder, you can get that baby to be as iconic a copy as you want. I know several people here have custom-made Greenies and Pearlys, for example.

P.S. Tim, we must've been writing at the same time. Great minds...

ex2music

Great stuff guys! Thank you! Currently I am leaning towards a Rick Nielsen aged LP. I know thats not a CC or a Murphy, like I asked, but I ran across some on Reverb and am a bit intrigued

Big Al

IMO, cosmetic ageing only looks old. Genuine imitation wear and tear, an artful simulation meant to fool the eye, and for many, the mind. They don't look authentic too me and certainly do not feel, sound or play like an old guitar.

I'd spend my energy in finding a great R9. Well chosen, musical, great examples can be found and they can be extraordinary, surpassing expectation in the best way. Great Bursts aren't about fake wear or the appearance of age. They were just as great when new.

My favourite R9, bought new 20 years ago tells a true tale and is extraordinary. That's how you get the Burst Experience.

Arnold M.

Not an owner but I have always heard that the Aged Mike Mcready ?? (Pearl Jam) model is pretty highly regarded. :salude

Ace139

It varies by guitar. Hate to say it but it’s the truth. Make sure they have a good return policy. I have had a Murphy that was awesome and several Murphy’s that were average. My current #1 is a CC #24 Nicky - and its awesome. Was able to play a ton of TH, Murphy’s and 3 different CCs. 1 of the CC s was awful. Anyway - Like I said make sure you get a good trial period. Good Luck :dude:

ex2music

It varies by guitar. Hate to say it but it’s the truth. Make sure they have a good return policy. I have had a Murphy that was awesome and several Murphy’s that were average. My current #1 is a CC #24 Nicky - and its awesome. Was able to play a ton of TH, Murphy’s and 3 different CCs. 1 of the CC s was awful. Anyway - Like I said make sure you get a good trial period. Good Luck :dude:

Ironically a Nicky is on my short list also. Ok, it's a very long list, but I wrote small to make it short!

JPP-1

Great stuff guys! Thank you! Currently I am leaning towards a Rick Nielsen aged LP. I know thats not a CC or a Murphy, like I asked, but I ran across some on Reverb and am a bit intrigued

Here’s my Nielsen. The top had a Greeny look to so I couldn’t resist.

With all due respect to Tim, I can say without equivocation most of the recent Historics I’ve played are as good qualitatively as any Les Paul I’ve put my hands on be it vintage or “old wood” boutique. CCs are modeled after specific vintage Les Pauls, while recent ”standard” Historics have some of the most desired Burst characteristics such as the Carmelita top carve. Gibson even did a run, some Murphy aged, with Brazilian Rosewood fretboards. To get any more meaningfully authentic, you’d need to build a time machine.

As far as aging is concerned, you can see for yourself. To me, none of the artificial aging be it Gibson, Murphy, Historic Makeovers, etc, looks particularly authentic next to a vintage Gibson. That said, I still find some of Gibson‘s and Murphy’s razor work to be quite artful and aesthetically pleasing. ymmv

roEYyR.jpg

surfreak

I personally think the CC program is pointless as, if I hadn’t been told that a specific CC is meant to be a close replica of the original, I would simply regard them as regular Historics, with no particular resemblance to their namesake, or at least not any closer than any other non-CC historics.

This said, both CCs and aged Murphys are consistently good guitars, at least all the ones I have played. You do need to look hard to find a truly great one though.

Pip

I’ve had a couple of beautiful murphys which I regret selling, but my Nicky is an absolute keeper. So what comes around goes around.

chuck dale

I love my CC#13 and CC#15...... I also have a Murphy aged 58 Les Paul w/ a nice chunky neck!

ex2music

Very appreciative of all the responses. I am frozen. I just can't decide. It's so hard clicking "Buy Now" and hoping that when delivered it will deliver on what you want it to. Each guitar has it's own personality and mojo and some connect with us and others do not. For me to spend what I am going to spend on this, I have to love it and feel it inspiring me while giving me confidence to play unshackled. I think I'm just gonna spend my money on harmonicas and triangles! lol

LeonC

I'd have a hard time spending the kind of dough you're probably talking about w/o either playing or at least hearing the guitars played. Seems like you have little basis for making an informed decision. I'd be inclined to hold off until I could visit a store that had a decent selection so that I could find one that really worked for me, assuming one (or more) really stood out--no guarantee of that, of course, but better chance with a good selection. My impression is that it's unlikely you'll wind up with a mediocre guitar if you go with either the Murphy-aged or a CC...but unless you can at least hear them in advance, you'll never really know which nice LP works best for you.

BSeneca

IMO, cosmetic ageing only looks old. Genuine imitation wear and tear, an artful simulation meant to fool the eye, and for many, the mind. They don't look authentic too me and certainly do not feel, sound or play like an old guitar.

I'd spend my energy in finding a great R9. Well chosen, musical, great examples can be found and they can be extraordinary, surpassing expectation in the best way. Great Bursts aren't about fake wear or the appearance of age. They were just as great when new.

My favourite R9, bought new 20 years ago tells a true tale and is extraordinary. That's how you get the Burst Experience.

I agree with everything you are saying. That said BCR Greg has a Perry burst that feels REALLY close. Broken in for lack of a better term. I have a 52 that is greened and checked from 68 years of use. It’s not the same but in Greg’s example it is believable.

8bit Barry

I’m new to the Historic club, but I tried out 35 guitars around the London area at Christmas over three days and found one that was streets above the others. I bought it on the strength of the sound and playability - you surely can’t continue the legacy with a Reverb purchase? It’s got to be the slow methodical elimination process at this stage... so many guitars, despite looking like ‘the one’ will not be the one... just my junior historic opinion!

ex2music

5DAD6714-8258-49A3-A812-D5C0F207ABD1.jpg

So in the end I did the only logical thing..neither a Murphy Aged OR a CC! LOL

Decided to road trip to Chicago Music Exchange and found this beautiful Heavy Aged Made 2 Measure 1954 LP Custom. Feels amazing and the tone was unreal, plus the aging looks fantastic. Little nervous about the P90's and the noise from them but I can always put some hum canceling P90's in there if I need to.