• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Great Univibe!!!!!! NPD

El Gringo

Funny I missed this thread, my Old Dunlop Rotovibe died this week and I've been looking to fix it or get another.

Big Al, You mentioned a big chrome Dunlop Univibe--I don't think I've seen one. Did you mean a RotoVibe? those are the same case as the crybaby, but red body and chrome pedal.

I love the sloppy wet sloshing around that is a very realistic leslie sounding with a depth control that gets a nice doppler pitch shifting.

I have the one that Big Al is referring to and maybe it's close to a 6X4 photo , or pretty close to it .

Big Al

Funny I missed this thread, my Old Dunlop Rotovibe died this week and I've been looking to fix it or get another.

Big Al, You mentioned a big chrome Dunlop Univibe--I don't think I've seen one. Did you mean a RotoVibe? those are the same case as the crybaby, but red body and chrome pedal.

I love the sloppy wet sloshing around that is a very realistic leslie sounding with a depth control that gets a nice doppler pitch shifting.

Not the RotoVibe, which is not a UniVibe. The Dunlop UniVibe was an early UniVibe reissue that came in a large heavy metal case with chrome dome Tele knobs and ran on 18volts. Not bad and I used it for yrs. Had an optional foot controller too. Cool back then but not a great univibe. The vibrato is to extreme and not as musical. The Chorus has the lop sided throb and does an ok job.

Big Al

Thx Al ! I was waiting till some who knows what an old univibe sounds like, and actually owns the reissue, gave a report on the shin ei. I have a friend that has an old univibe, and once you hear it, theres no going back. when I get back from vacation I'm ordering one. Thx for the report!

EXACTLY!!! Real deal UNIVIBE sound. Not Leslie, not phaser. An original late 60's early 70's Shin-ei UniVibe is unique and nothing else quite sounds like a good one. If you want that EXACT tone and similar case, [originals were huge, you had to have the pedal, they had an AC power cord and some quirks], though most good clones use a slightly smaller case with authentic knobs and panel, correct 24vt power and internal photocell/lamp circuit, with user friendly interface.

The Shin-ie Vibe-bro and Sabbicus Funky- Vibe are excellent, vintage looking and authentic sounding Uni-Vibes I've found. There were others but these two IMO, were best. And with the foot controller, [to change speed], your looking at $1k at least!!

The Shin-ei Vibe2 has a much smaller case, same circuit as the Vibe-bro, same 24vt, same parts, but it has slow and fast speed controls with a footswitch to toggle between and you can select true bypass or the preamp on for when bypassed. You can also get a footcontroller for speed as an option but the fast/slow footswitch is all I need. Best of all it is half the price! Same sound and performance, half the dough.

For the serious Uni-Vibe user this is major cool. If you feel the Vibe you know what I'm preachin'. I'm a vibe snob. Close don't cut it for me.

Big Al

Very fascinating to say the least . I have the original Big chrome Dunlop UniVibe , the MXR UniVibe , and I like them but the suck tone from the signal . How does this UniVibe do in that department . If this doesn't rob signal I might spend for it and get it as it really did sound the best and amazing out of all the pedals outside of getting one of those real deal walnut heavy humongous Leslie . If I were to stumble on to a Leslie it would be awfully hard to resist not getting it next to my 2555X's . Big Al , out of curiosity how would you set up a Leslie ? in your signal path ? Just like one of the Pedals ?

Amigo, I use a Leslie pedal for rotory sounds. Lots to choose from. I use a Sans Amp 'RotoChoir and I like it.

corpse

The harmonic trem built-in on 1960 Fenders (Brown) was apparently very short- lived and is something to behold. Very Troweresque. Would you qualify that as “ univiby”? I might get brave and post a sound clip.