• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Great Univibe!!!!!! NPD

Big Al

I love wobbly, woooshy, swirly modulated fx. I have Phasers, Flangers, Choruses and Tremolos. Can't get enough. Sold my 68 Univibe for stoooopid moolah but never found a truly satisfying replacement.

I have a few but the lacked that chewy, complex musical lopp sided throb AND that 3D amazing harmonic swirl. Impossible to describe. I had to have it again. I've tried soooo many.

I settled upon the SHIN-EI VIBE 2. Them thar Texas boys know how to make a proper 24 volt UNIVIBE!! This is smaller than the Vibe Bro they make but is basicly the same circuit except it has two footswitchable preset speeds, a feature I very much wanted. Just amazing.

El Gringo

I just checked out a You Tube clip and this drips with swirling Leslie Tone and reminded me of Jimi , but serious cost as in expensive.

Big Al

I just checked out a You Tube clip and this drips with swirling Leslie Tone and reminded me of Jimi , but serious cost as in expensive.

I've spent a small fortune on less $$$ versions, not much less so, but definately less. Original big chrome Dunlop UniVibe, MXR Univibe, Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe, BBE Soul Vibe, EH Goodvibes, Fulltone etc....

Without a doubt the JAM Pedals RetroVibe is, IMO, the very best, most musical Uni Vibe in the budget group. It is an amazing small, high voltage two knob Vibe. IMO the closest, most useful musical budget univibe ..... but, once you taste a proper Vibe you realise how unique the effect is and how versatile they are. So much more than a phaser or chorus can do. They seem to be almost interactive.

I could not find a full on proper Vibe with pedal for less than 1K. For less than $600 the two speed Vibe 2 is achievible. For half that the Jam Pedals RetroVibe is superb.

Last edited:

El Gringo

I've spent a small fortune on less $$$ versions, not much less so, but definately less. Original big chrome Dunlop UniVibe, MXR Univibe, Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe, BBE Soul Vibe, EH Goodvibes, Fulltone etc....

Without a doubt the JAM Vibe is, IMO, the very best, most musical Uni Vibe in the budget group. It is an amazing small, high voltage two knob Vibe. ..... but, once you taste a proper Vibe you realise how unique the effect is and how versatile they are. So much more than a phaser or chorus can do. They seem to be almost interactive.

I could not find a full on proper Vibe with pedal for less than 1K. For less than $600 the two speed Vibe 2 is achievible. For half that the Jam Pedals Vibe is superb.

Very fascinating to say the least . I have the original Big chrome Dunlop UniVibe , the MXR UniVibe , and I like them but the suck tone from the signal . How does this UniVibe do in that department . If this doesn't rob signal I might spend for it and get it as it really did sound the best and amazing out of all the pedals outside of getting one of those real deal walnut heavy humongous Leslie . If I were to stumble on to a Leslie it would be awfully hard to resist not getting it next to my 2555X's . Big Al , out of curiosity how would you set up a Leslie ? in your signal path ? Just like one of the Pedals ?

El Gringo

Without a doubt the JAM Vibe is, IMO, the very best, most musical Uni Vibe in the budget group. It is an amazing small, high voltage two knob Vibe. ..... but, once you taste a proper Vibe you realise how unique the effect is and how versatile they are. So much more than a phaser or chorus can do. They seem to be almost interactive.

I could not find a full on proper Vibe with pedal for less than 1K. For less than $600 the two speed Vibe 2 is achievible. For half that the Jam Pedals Vibe is superb.

How did you know I use an old Script logo MXR Phase 90 ? It's my fake vibe sound . My Father got this pedal for me over 42 years ago from his Bouzoki playing buddy who had to go away for a while . I also got to use his Blackface Twin back then as well . When he came back my Father took the Blackface Twin back to him so he could gig again . Really Good guy that Chris was , last time I seen him was in 2010 at my Moms Wake .

El Gringo

Big Al , may I ask where you got your SHIN-EI Vibe pedal from ? Now you are getting me curious ?

Mars Hall

I'm intrigued, currently using a KR megavibe mini. Do you have any experience with KR versions Big AL? Also, does your Vibe II output go above unity gain, like an original Uni-Vibe?

Big Al

I'm intrigued, currently using a KR megavibe mini. Do you have any experience with KR versions Big AL? Also, does your Vibe II output go above unity gain, like an original Uni-Vibe?

I'm not familiar with the KR Megavbe Mini, [no hands on exp], yes the Vibe 2 rises above unity and you can switch between pre amp on or bypassed when effect is off. Big Al is my forum name, call me Al.

Big Al

Big Al , may I ask where you got your SHIN-EI Vibe pedal from ? Now you are getting me curious ?

I got mine factory direct from owner/builder, [special circumstance]. Dealers listed on Shin-ei site and Reverb. Vibe2 is the bee's knees!! I have almost all the original MXR effects in my stash. Phase 45, 90 and 100. The 100 is still my favourite phase shifter of all time. Still, bro a Phase 90 ain't gonna cut it.

Nothin' beats a good vibe.

corpse

Outstanding- i love vibe. Currently getting mine from my 1960 Fender amp(s)- some terrific harmonic pulse from a Super and a Pro.
I second that question- where would you put a leslie pedal in your signal chain Big Al?

El Gringo

I got mine factory direct from owner/builder, [special circumstance]. Dealers listed on Shin-ei site and Reverb. Vibe2 is the bee's knees!! I have almost all the original MXR effects in my stash. Phase 45, 90 and 100. The 100 is still my favourite phase shifter of all time. Still, bro a Phase 90 ain't gonna cut it.

Nothin' beats a good vibe.

I know that , it's just the tone suck thing with the other 2 that I have .

Big Al

I know that , it's just the tone suck thing with the other 2 that I have .

Lots of mediocre vibes out there. I've bought enough of them. The $$ thing gets in the way, but outside of the Jam Pedals RetroVibe I haven't found a truly satisfying Univibe for around $300 or so, except this beautiful Greek pedal. I'd like 'the others at first, but after awhile I'd miss that 3D swirl and touchy feely interactive harmonic thing when you let loose with an angry amp and a good fuzz tone. The RetroVibe does like, 98% of it. Closest and if I'm honest, pretty much nails it. The Shin-ei sounds like a great univibe, the best, IMO.

It takes a certain player perspective, Univibes aren't for everyone and the really great ones are flippin' costly. This Shin-ei Vibe2 is half the price of a great Univibe clone and sounds every bit as good.
F it, I'm dyin', why not? I'm loving this pedal. I may get another, in PURPLE!!!!

Last edited:

Big Al

Outstanding- i love vibe. Currently getting mine from my 1960 Fender amp(s)- some terrific harmonic pulse from a Super and a Pro.
I second that question- where would you put a leslie pedal in your signal chain Big Al?

I use a Tech 21 RotoChoir, in stereo to two Yamaha G100 112II's in a loop on my pedal board post overdrive.

Mars Hall

Al, one more question please. My KR takes an 18v power supply. When I use a summing Y cable to a Voodoo Lab 2+, a little is lost in translation. It doesn't give the pedal the same depth as when using the wall wart. How do you power your Shin ei Vibe 2? If you use the Y cable, do you hear any loss as compared?

Unbound Dot Neck

Hi Al, any thoughts on the Capt Coconut , 3 way and its Chorus/Vibe

Friend had 1, what was it , Fuzz, Chorus , Octavier

thxs- C

Big Al

Al, one more question please. My KR takes an 18v power supply. When I use a summing Y cable to a Voodoo Lab 2+, a little is lost in translation. It doesn't give the pedal the same depth as when using the wall wart. How do you power your Shin ei Vibe 2? If you use the Y cable, do you hear any loss as compared?

You must also match current. At least 400ma per 12vdc outlet to sum to the 24vbc I need. My power supply on my board doesn't have two 12vdc 400a outlets so I cannot comment on summed power yet. I plan on getting a Voodoo Labs high power Digital ps for a new smaller board. I'm still using my Furman SPB8 which has 4 ac outlets with the 8 9vdc pedal outs.

24vdc seems to be the magic number for best 60's Univibe tone and performance from everything I've tried.

Gotta build a couple of smaller modern boards.

demundo

Thx Al ! I was waiting till some who knows what an old univibe sounds like, and actually owns the reissue, gave a report on the shin ei. I have a friend that has an old univibe, and once you hear it, theres no going back. when I get back from vacation I'm ordering one. Thx for the report!

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
Funny I missed this thread, my Old Dunlop Rotovibe died this week and I've been looking to fix it or get another.

Big Al, You mentioned a big chrome Dunlop Univibe--I don't think I've seen one. Did you mean a RotoVibe? those are the same case as the crybaby, but red body and chrome pedal.

I love the sloppy wet sloshing around that is a very realistic leslie sounding with a depth control that gets a nice doppler pitch shifting.