• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson LP Traditional Vs 2019 LP Standard, Need help...

Mike8640

Hey,

Ive recently sold my electric guitar (about 3 months ago) a gibson too but now i dont have any guitar to play and i havent played for about 3 months straight!! yes it sucks so now im really looking to buy a new guitar and since i havent found anything better in this budget, And i dont like strats -ibanez and such , So I went to a nearby guitar store and he actually had some killer deals on the Gibson lp traditional years 2018-2019 they probably want to sell the last few ones they have . The guitar itself plays and sounds good but its a bit heavy, dosent have much of a flame top and looks more like it has plain top, no bells or whistles. I can go and buy it now without any doubts it fits my budget perfectly.

But honestly i really prefered the LP Standard because i really like flame tops, lighter weight, I don't think im really gonna use all the coil taps and phase switch but its a pretty cool and versatile guitar.

But the problem is that i cant buy the standard right now because my budget is kinda tight right now and i can barely afford it. And the dealer gonna drop the price only in about 2-4 months from now, yeah it sucks but the question is - should i compromise and buy the Traditional now ? or wait a few months and buy the LP Standard?

Either way i know that you cant go wrong with a gibson, both are a great guitars but the decision is hard to choose between both.

Big Al

What makes you think the new Standard will have a price drop? You seem to need a flametop and want a new 50's or 60's Standard.
But too much dough for you.

I have seen a gazllion, nice flamey USED Standards in their various forms, for low dough.

sunking101

The weights and flames all vary.
I have a 2019 Traditional with an AAA top which weighs 9.2 lbs.
I also have a 2019 50's Standard which is very weakly flamed and weighs 10.8 lbs (*it does sound great though.)

Edited to add:
Hang on though, you mention coil taps and future price reductions. Is this a 2018 Standard or a Les Paul Modern you're talking about? The 2019 Standards (50s and 60s) don't come with coil taps. So if you're wanting one of the older Standards or the current 'Modern' it will be weight relieved and lighter than the Traditionals or Original Series Standards. They also tend to have a lot of flame. The Traditionals have an AA top but there is such variance that you will find one with no flame and another with all the flame in the world.

Last edited: