• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Help me name my Les Paul

MikeLPMarshall

2019 LP traditional.jpg
I named this one "The Blue Berry Beast".
I have a Classic in Heritage Cherry but it does not have a name because I rarely ever play it because "The Blue Berry Beast" just has more mojo.

El Gringo

It is a tinted amber clear coat. Supposed to mimic old amber clear coats as seen on vintage natural finish as it appears now. Like Martin does to some tops and Gibson does on certain Blonde or Natural finish. It is clear, uncolored natural Maple with a lightly amber tint to the clear lacquer. They call that finish, "Antique Natural" and it is not like the heavy yellowish of Amber and not as white as an untinted maple clear coat would look.

I still have my old hippy guitar I've had for near 50 yrs!! (I'm so old), It is an old Rickenbacker solidbody, all lovely lightly figured Eastern Rock Maple. I stripped off the finish and shot it in clear nitro. It has aged since then, and though certainly it is clear untinted natural finish, it has ambered to a warmer, golden look. The Supernatural looks exactly the same.

Damn, that old, very modified mutt doesn't have a name!! :bigal WTF!! How'd dat hap? Hey, amigo, 'cept hospital and Dr. visits I'm just sittin' here dying unable to do much. If you ever want to call me, I'm almost always awake. We can chat as much as you'd like about gear.

Awesome Big Al , I know exactly what your talking about with the Martin lacquer . Reminds me of 1993 when I got my 1972 Martin D-41 (Indian ) and I casually inquired about putting in a pickup in the end pin and you should have seen the looks and comments that I got -such as "oh no the Martin snobs don't like that and if you want to amplify it just mike it in front using a standing mike in front of where your playing , followed by don't touch the paper thin Spruce top with polish or Pledge and stuff like that as it could affect the tone . The Spruce top on the D-41 is naturally aged amber color . It's so funny thinking back to 1993 and the Unplugged thing and how I had to have a Martin ,which wasn't my first Martin either as I used to have a 00-18 (Mahogany ) and it was okay . I traded that in towards the 72 Martin D-41 . I have to say I think that's pretty cool to have a "Antique Natural "Finish Les Paul . I bet it looks amazing ? I am going to send you a private message ok !

MeHereNow

I've once read an interview with The Darkness were Justin Hawkins told that whenever someone in the band had a new instrument they had to name it before showing up with it at rehearsal.
If they didn't the bandmates had first pick to the name.
That's why his white LP Custom was given the name "The White Slut" and the bassist' Thunderbird is "Brown Bastard"

S a m

They earn their names . . . They name themselves and it has meaning. A reason.
The only instrument I ever named:

Around 1983 I picked up a brand-new luthier-built double bass with a carved woman's head instead of a scroll. That weekend I played a private party at somebody's house. The owner / hostess told us to leave our gear in her daughter's room on break so I put the bass on the bed. There was a wooden sign over the bed with the daughter's name, "Nicole." That was it: The bass was Nicole for the twenty-five years or so that I owned it.

jrgtr42

Some of my guitars have names, many don't.
I've tried over time, but trying to force it just doesn't work.
My old SG is Number One (similar to SRV's Strat and Page's Les Paul)
My Es335 is Big Red.
I have a BC Rich Mockingbird that's The Beast.
My Tele is Kelly Bones - It was Bones from a skeleton sticker that was on it when I got it, then when DeForest Kelley (McCoy from Star Trek) passed away, I added the Kelley in honor.
My Gibson bass is The Ox. I'd got it early in 2002, and been halfway looking for a name. Then John Entwistle died, and the rest is history.
My Les Paul and Heritage H150 (essentially a Les Paul) don't have names, neither do most of my others.

Basically, (presuming the OP is still watching this thread) I would say not to force it - it will name itself; or more precisely, a suitable name will present itself.