• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Trying To Narrow Down The Year Of Les Paul Custom

Mark Ray

Hey everyone, I used to be on here some, but haven't owned a Les Paul in a few years. I need input on dating a Les Paul Custom that a friend asked me to help sell. It belonged to his brother, who sadly passed from dementia last year. They found this guitar with a couple more, as well as a few amps and other things they didn't even know that he owned, and my friend is having to liquidate the estate.

Here's what I know for sure about this guitar:

Serial #17279
"2" stamped above serial#
Pancake body
3-piece neck
Waffleback tuners
T-Top pickups
"Fretless Wonder" frets
Witch hat knobs
Original black finish
Small volute

My tech couldn't read any dates from the pots. He did have to replace the bridge tone pot, as it was frozen.

I sent Gibson an inquiry, but they want some info that I just don't have. There is nothing paperwork wise with this guitar.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Hey everyone, I used to be on here some, but haven't owned a Les Paul in a few years. I need input on dating a Les Paul Custom that a friend asked me to help sell. It belonged to his brother, who sadly passed from dementia last year. They found this guitar with a couple more, as well as a few amps and other things they didn't even know that he owned, and my friend is having to liquidate the estate.

Here's what I know for sure about this guitar:

Serial #17279
"2" stamped above serial#
Pancake body
3-piece neck
Waffleback tuners
T-Top pickups
"Fretless Wonder" frets
Witch hat knobs
Original black finish
Small volute

My tech couldn't read any dates from the pots. He did have to replace the bridge tone pot, as it was frozen.

I sent Gibson an inquiry, but they want some info that I just don't have. There is nothing paperwork wise with this guitar.

Any help is appreciated!

It should not have a 5 digit serial number, so there seems to be a problem there.
When the tech removed the tone pot, he should have been able to read the pot's date code.
I suggest going back and clearing up these two points.

Big Al

It is clearly a Kalamazoo made early 70's. I don't think specific year is important to value or spec's in that 70-73 range that I think it is. Pot code will narrow it to a 2 yr span.

I am sorry for your loss.