• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

50th Anniversary Firebird Pickups

ezra1

I have one of these guitars and I think they are ceramic magnets.
Johnny Winter, Allen Collins and Brian Jones are the Firebird players familiar to me.
Winter looks like he played stock Birds. Collins had a P90 in his bridge and a mini humbucker in the neck.
Can anyone Recommend a replacement set of Firebird pickups should I want to get away from the ceramic pups ?

AA00475Bassman

I have a Historic v with alnico Duncan in the bridge I like this combo ceramic in the neck I also IMO think this isolated to this Firebird .
My Historic Firebird V TB sunburst has Neck & Bridge Duncans alnico and it definitely has a sound I love !
My Historic Firebird 111 has the stock ceramics and I would never touch this guitar love it .

Ceramic's or Alnico in a Firebird are great I can not define this to one sound preference nothing wrong with ceramic's the alnico's are very articulate in tone not very forgiving to poor execution . This is all subjective and I need three variations for these wonderful Firebird tones ! As always enjoy !

Last edited:

Billy Hiwatt

Lollar makes alnico 5 firebird pickups. No experience myself, but I've heard some good reviews. 6.1k neck & 7.4k bridge.

TM1

Johnny Winter, Allen Collins and Brian Jones are the Firebird players familiar to me.
Winter looks like he played stock Birds. Collins had a P90 in his bridge and a mini humbucker in the neck.
His may have been a transition era model when Gibson switched from Mini's to P-90's. He may have put a mini in the neck.
Can anyone Recommend a replacement set of Firebird pickups should I want to get away from the ceramic pups ?
Either Lollar's or Klein's. Those two are the best I think. I have a number of guitars with mini's, most recent is the Epiphone "Crestwood Custom", but I have the offset pole type in my Firebird VII, a 1965 Epiphone Al Caiola & a Honduran Mahogany Tele with an offset poles mini in the neck.