• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ES 345 1959 - I need your help please

MDP

Dear All,
I have a vintage ES 345 with serial nr: A 32575 and some hand written initials "BAB" or similar. The color I believe is Argentina sunburst. May someone help me out with the background of my guitar? Is or was it maybe a prototype of a famous musician that Gibson worked togehter back then? Thank you all soooo much in advance for kind advise. Very best, Martina

MikeSlub

Administrator
Dear All,
I have a vintage ES 345 with serial nr: A 32575 and some hand written initials "BAB" or similar. The color I believe is Argentina sunburst. May someone help me out with the background of my guitar? Is or was it maybe a prototype of a famous musician that Gibson worked togehter back then? Thank you all soooo much in advance for kind advise. Very best, Martina
Please post photos. Thanks!

MDP

Dear Mike - thank you very much for your fast response - unfortunately I do not know how to upload any photos of my guitar. May I send them to you by PM or Email? Very best, Martina

MDP

Well - I do not use any of these online downloading platforms. But maybe I can share the some pics via email and someone of you guys uploads them for me. thanks.

GuitarMikey

Here's a few photos Martina was kind enough to share with us. :salude
I'll let her fill you in on the rest.

Little Jake

I'm no help on history of the guitar. Serial number indicates very early '60 shipping date. I would bet the FON begins with "S" so it likely has '59 appointments. Looks like regular sunburst to my eye, not Argentine Gray; pictures of the sides would be definitive. Hope someone can shed more light on its history.

JimR56

Dear All,
Your guitar appears to have a standard sunburst finish. "Argentine Grey" (sunburst variation) is more of a deep brown to a golden center, without as much of a gradual reddish blending that is typical on a standard sunburst like yours.

I have seen different things scribbled on Gibson labels over the years. Who knows what the "BAB" or whatever represents. There's no reason to jump to a conclusion that it relates to a famous person or suggests some kind of prototype.

I think your serial number points to 1960, not 1959.

Anyway, a very nice guitar!

Edit: Jake popped in ahead of me. At least we agree!

Argentine Grey:
argentine.jpg

MDP

A huge Thank You to all for all the very kind information. I've been asked to look for the Fon no in the guitar - and here it is:

S 608 4