• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My first 'ES' Gibson Where do I begin?

renderit

Collings are very good, certainly the finest build quality you will find.
Others can match them but you can't get better.
And their price is very reasonable given the quality you get.
Mine shown above is not the full size version.

36648928653_4371ceb0ee_3k.jpg

The ES-345 above on bottom, the Collings I-35 center and the ES-339 on top gives you an idea of the size variation.

You asked about the B&G. The pictures above are the 'Little Sister' custom builds and the 'Big Sister' bass.
They have their standard soft v neck and their own wind pickups.
As well as reclaimed Brazilian boards.
I can't describe them. For me they are perfect. They come to hand perfectly for me and they scream like a wounded LP or clean up like an acoustic.
For me they just "feel right".

I would suggest to you that if you want a Gibson get a Gibson.
Nothing else is the same.
They may actually be better, but it is not 'the same'.
And you will always wonder.

wintomato

Thanks for starting this Sol, exactly what I was thinking. where to start. I have a lovely LP TH, spent a lot of time researching and trying. Looking for a 335 feels like starting from scratch, all part of the fun.
I would definitely be interesting in a Collings, but very expensive, as would a good 335 I suppose.

goldtop0

I've never forgotten the first ES 335 I played. A dot neck cherry from 1992. The same year as my Les Paul, identical neck profiles but a sound so good it hurt to leave the shop without it.
For the first time in many years I'm finally in a position to 'go hunting' for my first ES Gibson, but while I can identify a good Les Paul from sheer familiarity I'm lost in the complexity, verity and history of models that have gone through numerous changes over the years.

If you were to point me to three ES 335,s made in the last 10 yrs that I should not ignore in my quest,. Would you mind listing them for me?
You. can list your reasoning for this, I'd be really grateful for your help..

I started this thread in part as I thought it may benefit others in the same position as me

:salude Sol.............this is where I'm at too...........hunting a fat neck '58 or possibly a '59 ES 335TD.
The NEW price on these is horrendous these days...........different to two years ago so I'm hunting used.........I only need one:lol

stilwel

I had a 2007(?) ES-345 made in Memphis that had both stereo and mono output jacks.

I currently have the ES-style trio pictured below.

95 Epi Riviera
This has a really narrow neck at the nut width. Gibson 57 Classic pickups and B7 are aftermarket. This has a completely different (good) voice than the others.

2028 Bonamassa ES-355
The Bonamassa 355 has a giant neck. I was very pleasantly surprised by this. These guitars are an incredible value. I swapped the stock pickups for sim Gibson 57 Classics and put a proper Bigsby B7 on it. I’d put this up against any proper 335 style. Even with the upgrades I’m into this for relatively easy money.

2012 Luther Dickinson 335
This is a unique one given the P90’s. 59 neck is superb. Not quite as big as the JB-355 neck.

I’d have a tough time choosing just one of these 3 to keep.

iSdY0pU.jpg

lvtIaQT.jpg

Everyone's an expert whenever they post, but I can say that I have some good experience with this question, so I'll tell you what I would recommend looking at and personal experience as someone that has worked in a vintage shop for a number of years and got to play many, many, many iterations of ES Gibson throughout the years.

A lot of people loooove the Nashville made ES-335 from the 00's through the teens, I've found these in general to have enormous necks and to feel somewhat clunky, and not that great. I do however, love the 50th anniversary run of 335's that came out in 2008 (?), I owned a 1960 50th anni ES-335 and it was an awesome guitar, slimmer neck so, you'd have to be into that, but light, resonant and inspiring guitar. Sold it in a quest for a vintage ES-345, but I miss that guitar. I have played numerous others from that 1960 50th run and they are consistent. The 59 50th anni is also one I've played quite a bit and have found to be great. I have not been impressed with the newer "historic" models, the 58, 59, 63, etc...from the 20-teens. They sound pretty dead to me. I owned a 2014 59 historic ES-345 and it was so dull and thuddy, looked great but not a guitar that was inspiring. So I'd not suggest that one. I will say that early 1980's Custom Shop 335's are among the best "modern" 335's I've come across. Be sure it's a custom shop, though. People are getting hip to these and prices have been creeping up I've noticed. They have Tim Shaws for the most part and have a really nice feel and sound. For someone just getting into ES model guitars I would suggest a 335. I am huge fan of 330's and 345's are my absolute favorite guitar ever, but it can be tricky to navigate through the many various iterations out there. 330 historics from what I've played have been relatively good and consistent, but its a totally different animal and unless you play it and fall in love with it, I'd not suggest buying online. So the takeaway models I'd focus on:

early 80's- mid 80's custom shop
50th anniversary models from 2008-2010
These two runs seems to be the most consistently good ones I've found. Sure there are great models elsewhere in the timeline, but for consistentcy's sake and as an online buyer (I'm guessing) you'd have the best chance of it being great.

goldtop0

I got a used '59 gloss '14 in from Tokyo yesterday, it's got a good fat neck that I like and looks as though it's just come straight from the Nashville CS.......immaculate.
It's got a good woody tone and 8lb 3oz.
Going to have to change the gloss finish though..........too sparkly and pristine for me.......will see how that progresses.
Will do the pup covers and stoptail myself and get a dark burgundy spray job done around the perimeter front and back to warm her up a little.......at some stage in the future.
Plays like a dream...........couldn't be happier. The chap I dealt with at the store in Tokyo couldn't do enough for me.......superb service in these lockdown times.
This 335 has taken a long time from inception to fruition........50 years!!

https://i.imgur.com/mg3TY90.jpg

Last edited:

wintomato

I tried a 61 and a 59 2020 reissue. I really loved the 61. Excellent guitar, classic sounds, lovely to play. Love the unpotted pickups. Was lucky enough to play next to a Collings i35lc. Closer than I expected. Pickups are quite different on the Collings of course, but the classic sounds came from the 335. Price aside, difficult choice.
if the Collings had the throbaks and the 60s profile neck (an available option on the site), perhaps I would have swayed towards the Collings.

renderit

Collings typically have the Lollar humbuckers.

If you want crystal clear piano-like tones they are a beautiful choice.

And they deliver the raunch on the right amp, but they are VERY clean mostly and absolutely beautiful.

I replaced mine with Thrōbaks.

I think Collings necks are FANTASTICAL thangs!

wintomato

Totally agree. It was a bigger neck but totally comfortable. I’m just trying to find reasons to not like it, the Gibson was cheaper new, and having trouble justifying the new price of a Collings! Amazing guitars. The dream.

goldtop0

Totally agree. It was a bigger neck but totally comfortable. I’m just trying to find reasons to not like it, the Gibson was cheaper new, and having trouble justifying the new price of a Collings! Amazing guitars. The dream.

What is the price of the Collings.

goldtop0

Uk new they are £5,999. The 335 2020 CS reissue £4,599

That's a substantial difference for sure........30%.
I have a M2M '58 style sunburst 335 from CS in the pipeline at this time and all up it's going to cost about the same as your above 2020 CS one(in equivalent $NZ)........based on that I'd say that the dealers in the UK really slug it to you guys which is a shame.

Last edited:

wintomato

Taxes, import duty from USA etc. Depending what trade deal happens next year, i am wondering if US musical equipment might be cheaper next year! The Gibson CS 335 61 2020 is a fine guitar. I might not be able to wait that long...

goldtop0

The Gibson CS 335 61 2020 is a fine guitar. I might not be able to wait that long...

Yeah we have the fluctuating exchange rate, GST at 15% etc............we're at the bottom of the globe ya know:lol
See if you can work a good deal with your local store..............all the best with that '61.