The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 1953 Les Paul Conversion project! Tiger flame monster..

quote...who can kid themselves that they’ve got the next best thing to a real one.../quote

Sound like a similar delusion to me.

Quote Originally Posted by goldtop0 View Post
    It comes back to the age old adage doesn't it.........if you can't say something positive don't say anything at all, leave well alone.

Let's move on with the positive in this thread fellas.

I want to see how this LP turns out!!
    This is how I feel. This isn't the Les Paul Antiquity Conservation Museum Forum. It's the Les Paul Forum. I tire of the self appointed vintage Gibson police. Although I respect most of their opinions, they harsh my buzz. The thing I don't like is the attacks. And having "thick skin" shouldn't be a quality that someone need to possess on an internet forum. Any forum worth being on, should be civil. I come here to read about Les Pauls (and other Gibsons that I love). The reason I love Les Pauls is the way they feel and sound, especially the way they sound in a mix of a great rock song. For that, they are my favorite guitar. If someone, refinishes, converts, or whatever, to get to their ideal LP tone who cares. Anyone here that's spouting their opinion, is free to go buy up all of the junkyard Gibsons they can find, and restore them themselves. I for one, will applaud their work, just as I do jumping@shadows (Yuuki). And for those that say "should be restored with only a gold refin, or only have P90's or a wrap, fact is, something is only original once, and that goes for any refinish. And, so what, if the guy is making money on these guitars. He spent the money, and put in the craftsmanship in to get to the final product. If you don't like 3 piece tops, plugged holes, that's your choice. No one is saying anything about your taste. It's just the tone that people here express their opinions could be dialed back at bit! Bottom line, is when I heard the clip Yuuki posted of the cut-up junior he did as a burst, I thought, this is the tone I've been looking for for most of my guitar playing life. I've dialed many of my guitars to have the same type of tone. So that's why I like what he's doing. He's making toneful killer sounding guitars out of some less than ideal guitars.

Here's is the hacked up Jr he brought back to life, what a great tone full of harmonics swirling all around...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1gdK1ln...eo_watch_again
    Last edited by rockabilly69; 03-29-20 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    This is how I feel. This isn't the Les Paul Antiquity Conservation Museum Forum. It's the Les Paul Forum.

Here's is the hacked up Jr he brought back to life, what a great tone full of harmonics swirling all around...

Thanks for that rock, hadn't seen this vid before

The guitar looks great and I take it at face value, ie a beautiful vintage guitar that has been refinished and modified to resemble - not replicate - a 59 burst.

Considering that the upper part of the top consistently goes over the perfect center seam, perhaps one option could have been to shave the lower top from the center line, and glue a 1-piece veneer with a figure that matches the upper half of the top as closely as possible?

Thanks for the comments from both sides of the aisle.
    I’m pretty happy with how this came out:

To those that dig conversions, I hope your enjoyed following along, to those who don’t I hope it’s not been too challenging.

All Access/Backstage Pass Wilko's Avatar

I love it. Great looking guitar. I'm sure it sounds great.

A few years back I "bursted" a 1956 refin. Didn't need to disturb the neck joint. Top was as nice, but those who say these aren'tthe next best thing, they don't know.

Same factory

same workers

same wood

same parts

same feel

same sound

Well done !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping@Shadows View Post

To those that dig conversions, I hope your enjoyed following along, to those who don’t I hope it’s not been too challenging.

What can you say..........a real beauty

Very nice and I love the color!

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Worthy of a gallery all it's own ....in the Louvre Museum!

....well perhaps share with a couple of L. da Vinci's
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Thanks all!

Here’s a few days in of fading:

I’ve shot a good few sunbursts now, and know how to ‘load’ the edges to build up intensity and compensate for the fast fading aniline dye, as well as basic methodological techniques to shoot the correct vintage ‘burst shape. It’s fun working these things out and noticing how the ES series are shot the same way, with the guitars hung upright, and making a ‘block pass’ straight across the upper bout, then moving on to the body perimeter, with successive passes around the edge to create the ‘trompe l’oeil’ effect of the emerging sunburst centre- the Les Paul shape is absolutely PERFECT for this colour scheme and gradiation, and instantly looks iconic imho

Les Paul Forum Member MapleFlame's Avatar

Looks amazing and I guarantee it will sound even better. I have restored the worst of basket case 50's LP's and they all play and sound great. Owner can do what ever he pleases with his guitar. To have old wood and good parts really gets you close to a 58-60 LP. That Junior retop sounded incredible. Cheers
    Top carves are sexy

Thanks all!

I’ve shot a good few sunbursts now, and know how to ‘load’ the edges to build up intensity and compensate for the fast fading aniline dye, as well as basic methodological techniques to shoot the correct vintage ‘burst shape. It’s fun working these things out and noticing how the ES series are shot the same way, with the guitars hung upright, and making a ‘block pass’ straight across the upper bout, then moving on to the body perimeter, with successive passes around the edge to create the ‘trompe l’oeil’ effect of the emerging sunburst centre- the Les Paul shape is absolutely PERFECT for this colour scheme and gradiation, and instantly looks iconic imho
    Looks great and important information imparted on shooting finishes... Congrats!

Thanks all!

absolutely stunning !!!!

For anyone curious, here’s the finished article:

It now sports ‘62ish purple wire PAF spec PAT No’s, full ‘58 Centralab harness with PIO bees, ‘50s hardware, ‘50s plastics save ‘70s cream M8 rings and weighs a percent 8.6lbs with ‘50s Grovers.

Has that ‘50s PAF honk too!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqWp3YH...d=5fa8szhuiri6

Apart from that guitar... I like what's in your bookshelf, great selection!

Quote Originally Posted by fakejake View Post
    Apart from that guitar... I like what's in your bookshelf, great selection!
    Haha! Good eye Viktor Pelevin is incredible! I really must order some more of his work

That looks great!!!! I was a little skeptical of the fading - it was a very strong cherry burst - but this is top notch.
    I personally may well have restored it as much as possible to original - but it's not my guitar, now is it?
    Great job. PLay it in good health.
    "Do you call sleeping with a guitar in your hands practicing?"
    "It is if you don't drop it."
    - Trent Lane, Daria, Episode 1-2.

Nicely Done!

Les Paul Forum Member

Beautiful guitar, perfectly done just as it is!

It now sports ‘62ish purple wire PAF spec PAT No’s, full ‘58 Centralab harness with PIO bees, ‘50s hardware, ‘50s plastics save ‘70s cream M8 rings and weighs a percent 8.6lbs with ‘50s Grovers.

Has that ‘50s PAF honk too!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqWp3YH...d=5fa8szhuiri6

Well you can't argue with them apples............just great

That looks like one of your best fades yet. At least to my eye. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
    This is how I feel. This isn't the Les Paul Antiquity Conservation Museum Forum. It's the Les Paul Forum. I tire of the self appointed vintage Gibson police. Although I respect most of their opinions, they harsh my buzz. The thing I don't like is the attacks. And having "thick skin" shouldn't be a quality that someone need to possess on an internet forum. Any forum worth being on, should be civil. I come here to read about Les Pauls (and other Gibsons that I love). The reason I love Les Pauls is the way they feel and sound, especially the way they sound in a mix of a great rock song. For that, they are my favorite guitar. If someone, refinishes, converts, or whatever, to get to their ideal LP tone who cares. Anyone here that's spouting their opinion, is free to go buy up all of the junkyard Gibsons they can find, and restore them themselves. I for one, will applaud their work, just as I do jumping@shadows (Yuuki). And for those that say "should be restored with only a gold refin, or only have P90's or a wrap, fact is, something is only original once, and that goes for any refinish. And, so what, if the guy is making money on these guitars. He spent the money, and put in the craftsmanship in to get to the final product. If you don't like 3 piece tops, plugged holes, that's your choice. No one is saying anything about your taste. It's just the tone that people here express their opinions could be dialed back at bit! Bottom line, is when I heard the clip Yuuki posted of the cut-up junior he did as a burst, I thought, this is the tone I've been looking for for most of my guitar playing life. I've dialed many of my guitars to have the same type of tone. So that's why I like what he's doing. He's making toneful killer sounding guitars out of some less than ideal guitars.

What is the neck pickup please ?
    Any facts stated above questionable, and opinions are not necessarily to be taken seriously

I won't take sides here in the 'Frankenstein vs great workmanship' debate.

I am however tired of seeing long threads originating from this source which clearly serve as backdoor commercial promotion masquerading as innocent topics of interest. We are treated to the usual divisive debate during which we are deluged with attractive images of the undoubtedly skilful conversion.

On another well-known board this has run to 14 pages and counting - starting with the same guitar!. It may be easy to say ignore these posts then, but the mods here and elsewhere should consider whether this is crossing the line into thinly disguised commercial advertising. I hope not to see any more of these threads.

Just my 2 cents of course.

We have a rule about pump and dump C.B. and we wouldn't let anyone do that. Yuuki doesn't do that- and there is keen interest on this topic on LPF. This comes rather close- but I for one love these threads.
    I wish there was a special purpose wire and cable forum (which is what I have done for the last 35 years- until i figure out what i want to do when I grow up)... but alas.

I love the prefading finish choice. I would have keept however the P-90s and stock stoptail config. Too much plugging

Looks like quality work but I still don't get "why".

Reminds me of the guy who can't afford a real Shelby so buys a 6-cyl mustang and "converts" it to look like a Shelby.

I find it all quite lame.

Impress me with a scratch build with your name on the headstock.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    Looks like quality work but I still don't get "why".

Reminds me of the guy who can't afford a real Shelby so buys a 6-cyl mustang and "converts" it to look like a Shelby.

I find it all quite lame.

Impress me with a scratch build with your name on the headstock.
    That's the exact analogy I've made a few times, but then again.....the GT-350 is probably a lot more fun to drive and be seen in than the regular-ol' standard secretary's package. Or the ones made from a Junior.....like making the Shelby out of a Falcon.

It does kind of stink that an old original is sacrficed, but the results are something that's probably going to get played a lot more than the original '53 would....so not could be a reincarnation of sorts too.
    "There's only two things wrong with you, and that's your face." - Greg Koch

Quote Originally Posted by au_rick View Post
    What is the neck pickup please ?
    A freakin' good sounding P90