• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1953 Les Paul Conversion project! Tiger flame monster..

goldtop0

For anyone curious, here’s the finished article:

Sg9xXnv.jpg

cumekAh.jpg

7vJ75Mf.jpg

It now sports ‘62ish purple wire PAF spec PAT No’s, full ‘58 Centralab harness with PIO bees, ‘50s hardware, ‘50s plastics save ‘70s cream M8 rings and weighs a percent 8.6lbs with ‘50s Grovers.

Has that ‘50s PAF honk too!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqWp3YHzvU/?igshid=5fa8szhuiri6

Well you can't argue with them apples............just great:salude

sws1

That looks like one of your best fades yet. At least to my eye. Nice.

au_rick

This is how I feel. This isn't the Les Paul Antiquity Conservation Museum Forum. It's the Les Paul Forum. I tire of the self appointed vintage Gibson police. Although I respect most of their opinions, they harsh my buzz. The thing I don't like is the attacks. And having "thick skin" shouldn't be a quality that someone need to possess on an internet forum. Any forum worth being on, should be civil. I come here to read about Les Pauls (and other Gibsons that I love). The reason I love Les Pauls is the way they feel and sound, especially the way they sound in a mix of a great rock song. For that, they are my favorite guitar. If someone, refinishes, converts, or whatever, to get to their ideal LP tone who cares. Anyone here that's spouting their opinion, is free to go buy up all of the junkyard Gibsons they can find, and restore them themselves. I for one, will applaud their work, just as I do jumping@shadows (Yuuki). And for those that say "should be restored with only a gold refin, or only have P90's or a wrap, fact is, something is only original once, and that goes for any refinish. And, so what, if the guy is making money on these guitars. He spent the money, and put in the craftsmanship in to get to the final product. If you don't like 3 piece tops, plugged holes, that's your choice. No one is saying anything about your taste. It's just the tone that people here express their opinions could be dialed back at bit! Bottom line, is when I heard the clip Yuuki posted of the cut-up junior he did as a burst, I thought, this is the tone I've been looking for for most of my guitar playing life. I've dialed many of my guitars to have the same type of tone. So that's why I like what he's doing. He's making toneful killer sounding guitars out of some less than ideal guitars.

Here's is the hacked up Jr he brought back to life, what a great tone full of harmonics swirling all around...

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1gdK1lnT8Q/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

What is the neck pickup please ?

crashbelt

I won't take sides here in the 'Frankenstein vs great workmanship' debate.

I am however tired of seeing long threads originating from this source which clearly serve as backdoor commercial promotion masquerading as innocent topics of interest. We are treated to the usual divisive debate during which we are deluged with attractive images of the undoubtedly skilful conversion.

On another well-known board this has run to 14 pages and counting - starting with the same guitar!. It may be easy to say ignore these posts then, but the mods here and elsewhere should consider whether this is crossing the line into thinly disguised commercial advertising. I hope not to see any more of these threads.

Just my 2 cents of course.

corpse

We have a rule about pump and dump C.B. and we wouldn't let anyone do that. Yuuki doesn't do that- and there is keen interest on this topic on LPF. This comes rather close- but I for one love these threads.
I wish there was a special purpose wire and cable forum (which is what I have done for the last 35 years- until i figure out what i want to do when I grow up)... but alas.

NINFNM

I love the prefading finish choice. I would have keept however the P-90s and stock stoptail config. Too much plugging

J.D.

Looks like quality work but I still don't get "why".

Reminds me of the guy who can't afford a real Shelby so buys a 6-cyl mustang and "converts" it to look like a Shelby.

I find it all quite lame.

Impress me with a scratch build with your name on the headstock.

Minibucker

Reminds me of the guy who can't afford a real Shelby so buys a 6-cyl mustang and "converts" it to look like a Shelby.

I find it all quite lame.

Impress me with a scratch build with your name on the headstock.
That's the exact analogy I've made a few times, but then again.....the GT-350 is probably a lot more fun to drive and be seen in than the regular-ol' standard secretary's package. Or the ones made from a Junior.....like making the Shelby out of a Falcon. :rofl

It does kind of stink that an old original is sacrficed, but the results are something that's probably going to get played a lot more than the original '53 would....so not could be a reincarnation of sorts too.

samsdad

That's the exact analogy I've made a few times, but then again.....the GT-350 is probably a lot more fun to drive and be seen in than the regular-ol' standard secretary's package. Or the ones made from a Junior.....like making the Shelby out of a Falcon. :rofl

It does kind of stink that an old original is sacrficed, but the results are something that's probably going to get played a lot more than the original '53 would....so not could be a reincarnation of sorts too.

But a Shelby Mustang Is Really a Falcon at heart as far as 1965-1966 models
Twenty Years ago I had A 1965 GT350 Shelby Mustang from Tony Conover in Harrisburg PA
Originally Bought new From Harr Ford In Worcester Mass its in the shelby Registry
It was Fast and all original one Repaint i took it to Lime Rock And had it on the track
For a Shelby SAAC Meet it was a great experience and tons of cool Mustangs,Shelby's,GT40's
I sold it after 9/11 Because i was unsure about what was going to happen
in the world I also at the same time had a 65 K Code Mustang
which a 65 Gt350 is based on and there really was not a big difference
except in price and looks both fine Classic Mustangs at that time affordable
Today forget it you have to be very well off to own either

Minibucker

But a Shelby Mustang Is Really a Falcon at heart as far as 1965-1966 models
Twenty Years ago I had A 1965 GT350 Shelby Mustang from Tony Conover in Harrisburg PA
Originally Bought new From Harr Ford In Worcester Mass its in the shelby Registry
It was Fast and all original one Repaint i took it to Lime Rock And had it on the track
For a Shelby SAAC Meet it was a great experience and tons of cool Mustangs,Shelby's,GT40's
I sold it after 9/11 Because i was unsure about what was going to happen
in the world I also at the same time had a 65 K Code Mustang
which a 65 Gt350 is based on and there really was not a big difference
except in price and looks both fine Classic Mustangs at that time affordable
Today forget it you have to be very well off to own either
That's kind of what I meant about using a Junior, although the Junior can really rock all by itself. That's awesome that you had one, though. What color?

Zapper

Well, as the purchaser of this awesome guitar (biased already see..!), I reckon I should be the final arbiter in the convert v restore debate... Much that I like Gold Tops and a great P90 sound, they don't hold a flame (!) to what Mr Shadows has done with this one. Converted or non-converted, it's a fabulous guitar..! Had a band rehearsal with it yesterday, and even through my little Sessionette 75 it really sang! Can't wait to stick it through my Marshall 6100 and 1960a...! Plays beautifully too, even though I'm not a big fan of chunky '50s necks..

And yeah, maybe if you look hard enough you'll find a couple of the plugs but so what. In fact I didn't even notice them when I first picked up the guitar from the depths of sunny Norfolk..... I was too busy being knocked out by the flickering of the flame top in the sunlight..! Looks so cool!

So, in my book at least, Mr S gets 11/10 for a superb job well done..! The converters have it! :applaude:)

ps. here it is, relaxing in my lounge after a hard days 'socially distanced' rocking..! :hank

104645424_3183247685029936_409111745772197936_n.jpg

brandtkronholm

Here's the "why" from the OP:
Hi all, I recently came across a project early ‘53 Goldtop that had a very thick ‘champagne’ gold refinish, MOP replaced inlays, all vintage parts MIA etc, but good chunky neck and excellent weight.
I have a full compliment of ‘50s parts and electrics in my stash, so I figured...
:salude

It makes sense to me. I might prefer the abstract idea of such a conversion if, in addition to the description above, it had a broken/repaired headstock and had the earlier shallow neck set (trapeze tail-piece) but hey, whatchagonnado?

As JD said in post #3,
...This guitar would be more desirable to me as a restored '53 P-90 goldtop than a sunburst conversion.
I too might have preferred an all gold or even a black top...or an all black - but with a tune-o-matic and stop tail! Maybe with a Humbucker in the bridge and a P-90 at the neck...but again, whatchagonnado?

Half my mind is with JD and half is with the fact that it came out looking very nice and it is being played and enjoyed - the mission statement of any instrument. It won't fool anyone, but then, it's that's not the point of the conversion in this case.

However, a question I asked in post #2 has yet to be answered:
What is 'bear claw' maple? I thought 'bear claw' was a feature of spruce and unrelated to flame/tiger/burl maple.

rockabilly69

Well, as the purchaser of this awesome guitar (biased already see..!), I reckon I should be the final arbiter in the convert v restore debate... Much that I like Gold Tops and a great P90 sound, they don't hold a flame (!) to what Mr Shadows has done with this one. Converted or non-converted, it's a fabulous guitar..! Had a band rehearsal with it yesterday, and even through my little Sessionette 75 it really sang! Can't wait to stick it through my Marshall 6100 and 1960a...! Plays beautifully too, even though I'm not a big fan of chunky '50s necks..

And yeah, maybe if you look hard enough you'll find a couple of the plugs but so what. In fact I didn't even notice them when I first picked up the guitar from the depths of sunny Norfolk..... I was too busy being knocked out by the flickering of the flame top in the sunlight..! Looks so cool!

So, in my book at least, Mr S gets 11/10 for a superb job well done..! The converters have it! :applaude:)

ps. here it is, relaxing in my lounge after a hard days 'socially distanced' rocking..! :hank

congrats on your new guitar, glad things worked out for you!

gmann

I've followed this thread with interest. The guitar turned out killer. Congrats on a job well done!

Patek

I don’t like to say people are ‘lucky’ when they are able to make purchases of which I can’t dream of at this point, as you clearly worked hard to get where you are to have the £, however you’re in the right place at the right time by finding this board, getting rid of the piece you ended up with previously, and stumbling across this. This piece is one of a kind and one of the best looking and sounding conversions I’ve ever seen, so you are a lucky man!!!

many congrats indeed! Very jealous

Zapper

I don’t like to say people are ‘lucky’ when they are able to make purchases of which I can’t dream of at this point, as you clearly worked hard to get where you are to have the £, however you’re in the right place at the right time by finding this board, getting rid of the piece you ended up with previously, and stumbling across this. This piece is one of a kind and one of the best looking and sounding conversions I’ve ever seen, so you are a lucky man!!!

many congrats indeed! Very jealous

Thanks Patek, and thanks also for all your help and input re "The Nile" LOL..! Not only is Mr S's conversion a much better guitar than that one, it was also half the price (ie reasonably affordable.!) so everyone's a winner..! :salude:hank:)

JPP-1

I don’t particularly like modded or converted guitars but given the issues that guitar had, between the thick refinish and the mop inlays, at least now it has been “restored” to its most desirable form.

You always do such a great job returning the love to these messed and/or abused up old guitars. Salute!

For anyone curious, here’s the finished article:

Sg9xXnv.jpg

cumekAh.jpg

7vJ75Mf.jpg

It now sports ‘62ish purple wire PAF spec PAT No’s, full ‘58 Centralab harness with PIO bees, ‘50s hardware, ‘50s plastics save ‘70s cream M8 rings and weighs a percent 8.6lbs with ‘50s Grovers.

Has that ‘50s PAF honk too!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqWp3YHzvU/?igshid=5fa8szhuiri6

nuance97

Congrats man! I owned that guitar for 7 or 8 years...I had no idea what was under that gold! Beautiful

Zapper

Congrats man! I owned that guitar for 7 or 8 years...I had no idea what was under that gold! Beautiful

Thanks nuance97, that's great! And thanks for the donation of your guitar as a conversion project! It's a great one! :salude:)