NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

COLLINGS ELECTRIC GUITARS

I have a nice Collings I-35-LC that is a great example of what a premium semi-hollowbody electric guitar can be. There is just one minor annoyance with this Collings that bugs me occasionally; i.e., the 24 7/8" scale length.

I measured the individual string lengths on my I-35-LC and the only string that is 24 7/8" is the high E string. The other strings are all longer, with the low E string measuring 25.0" long.

I'm not sure why Collings specified the 24 7/8" scale length for his electric guitars. In practice the scale length is actually closer to 25.0", as is the case with the low E string. PRS guitars spec a 25.0" scale length for many of his electrics guitars, with one or two exceptions.

I have never really bonded with the 25.0" scale length. I prefer the Gibson scale length for electric guitars like Les Pauls, ES, Flying V, etc. I believe Gibson specs a 24.625" scale length. The difference between these two scales lengths requires I make a conscious adjustment when playing to compensate for the disparity, especially open string chords near the nut.

My experience with Collings electrics is the scale length is actually very close to being 25.0". I think Bill Collings intentionally specified a 24 7/8" scale length in order to successfully market their guitars to players desiring an alternative to Gibson Les Pauls and ES-335s (Colling's most popular models). Otherwise he could have just called it a 25.0" scale length.

Nonetheless, I still love my Collings I-35-LC in natural.

"Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

Re: COLLINGS ELECTRIC GUITARS

I really like the Collings electrics.
    Les Paul Forum Founder

“It is only through inner peace that we can have true outer freedom.” — Sri Chinmoy

Someday I'd like to spec out a So Cal Deluxe, but need to do some herd thinning to justify the financing...

I just got my first Collings City Limits. Totally love it. Was looking for ages for a Plenham Blue LP, never found one. So I bought this. Quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Anyone else have a CL?

Last edited by xtrunk; 03-02-20 at 08:09 PM.

Yuppers. Meet Vlad.

Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar

ren: that looks fantastic
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar

Ren thast thang looks Delicious .....!!!!!!
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

Thank you. They do incredible work.

Marshall1987's I-35 is awesome. I know what you mean on the scale. Yours have the Lollars?

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post

Marshall1987's I-35 is awesome. I know what you mean on the scale. Yours have the Lollars?

My Plenham Blue has Haeussel pickups, I have ordered a Custom Tiger Eye Quilt top CL with Lollars Though, should get it in 6 months they say.

Les Paul Forum Member marshall1987's Avatar
    Feuding With "Devil Anse" Hatfield on the Tug Fork

Quote Originally Posted by renderit View Post

Yep...mine has Lollar Imperial regular-wind, .....not the low-wind (low output) that you see often.
    "Scan not a friend under a microscopic glass; you know his faults so let his foibles pass".

Sir Frank Crisp
    Friar Park
    London, England

That was my only complaint on my I-35. The Lollar Imperials were just TOO clean. And the nickel covers started scratching up something terrible.
    I went with Thrōbaks to add a little life there.
    Have not played it enough yet to say that's what stays but I like it better.
    Mines also the small bout (as yours appears to be). They make a 16" (I think) that is closer to a 335 in size, but I like the smaller one.

Les Paul Forum Member

I am looking for an I-35 after enjoying my I-30 for a few months now.I love my Gibson’s,but I’m liking the smaller size and weight of Collings. Like the Throbaks too.

Les Paul Forum Member

That is a nice one render it. My I-30 is almost like yours in Iced tea. I just not loving those knobs.