• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1989 Les Paul Custom Plus

kylejt

I just picked up what I believe to be is a 1989 Les Paul Custom Plus. I didn't know they started making them that early.
It's been modified with an extra pickup and locking tuners, that I do know.
Not a "Fretless Wonder" as the frets are nowhere near like I've had on other LP or SG Custom.
I do like it, though.

Attachments

• LP.jpg
    LP.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 171

Big Al

Hardly a plus. Lot's of Customs had figured two pc tops then. Mostly on wine red ones for some reason. Is it a refin? Looks like someone got his Ace on. The early first few years of plus top Customs were spectacular with impressive high grade figured maple.

kylejt

Hardly a plus. Lot's of Customs had figured two pc tops then. Mostly on wine red ones for some reason. Is it a refin? Looks like someone got his Ace on. The early first few years of plus top Customs were spectacular with impressive high grade figured maple.

Thanks Big Al.

It sure doesn't look like a refinish, but it's nearly new. I'm sure the pickup covers were swapped out for new ones when the middle pickup was added, and the locking tuners are replacements. Pickup rings, pickguard and knobs, too.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

Big Al

Thanks Big Al.

It sure doesn't look like a refinish, but it's nearly new. I'm sure the pickup covers were swapped out for new ones when the middle pickup was added, and the locking tuners are replacements. Pickup rings, pickguard and knobs, too.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

The covers look right and the two might be original. The creme trim/gold knobs was a popular mod on Customs and looks sweet on bursted ones. That in combination with the added up is clearly a nod to Ace Freely. Looks great with covers.

The finish looks good and may be original, but the narrow gradation is more consistent with a refin as stock bursts had a wider color gradation on lower bought typical at that time. Hardly proof, just something I noticed as unusual. Back color would be interesting to see, as well as all the pup cavities and back cavities.

The Les Pauls from this era are just great guitars. This one looks killer. I think you did well.

kylejt

The covers look right and the two might be original. The creme trim/gold knobs was a popular mod on Customs and looks sweet on bursted ones. That in combination with the added up is clearly a nod to Ace Freely. Looks great with covers.

The finish looks good and may be original, but the narrow gradation is more consistent with a refin as stock bursts had a wider color gradation on lower bought typical at that time. Hardly proof, just something I noticed as unusual. Back color would be interesting to see, as well as all the pup cavities and back cavities.

The Les Pauls from this era are just great guitars. This one looks killer. I think you did well.

More pics\

In the neck pickup cavity there's stamped letters of CSB, but I can't make out if there's anything before the. I'm guessing that's for Cherry Sunburst for the painter. The stamp seems to be under the finish.
So this is telling me that this is the original sunburst finish.
This thing dates to 1989, but the condition is near mint. Almost too good. It's obvious the middle pickup was added, but it's stamped GIBSON, exactly like the other two.
If anyone has any insight to offer, happy to hear it.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0462.jpg
    IMG_0462.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0461.jpg
    IMG_0461.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

kylejt

If you have any insight into this ax, let me know. I'm still baffled on the pickup cavity marking, and what pickups these might be.

Of course that middle pickup was added, but all three look the same, and are in near new condition.

Thanks

Last edited:

Big Al

The CSB is for Cherry Sunburst. I see odd things like wine red in cavity where the top is yellow? I haven't opened up an 89 in yrs so I'm no help, I'm afraid.

Sol

Kylejt,
The Custom Plus was introduced the same yr that Gibson introduced the Classic Plus, 1992. The Custom Premium Plus was introduced the following yr, 1993.

Looking at your pickups and wiring loom appear entirely consistent with my own 1992 Les Paul Standard. The Gibson USA moniker stamped in the baseplate, identify them as a set derived from the '490' range.

If your pickups have factory fitted covers (never removed) they are likely to be the same as those in my, 92 Standard, which were the 490r and 498t respectively.

To avoid confusion the Les Paul Classic was introduced in 1990 two yrs prior to to the Classic Plus.

Please don't take my word for this and conduct your own research. The source appears reliable, but falable is my middle name..

Sol

Can't believe I didn't make this my first question... Numbers 1 and 5 of your serial number give you the correct yr of
manufacture...

Sol

It goes to show that reference works are unreliable from time to time..
Does the headstock Gibson inlay have the 70,s and 80,s closed '0' or is it open ?

kylejt

It goes to show that reference works are unreliable from time to time..
Does the headstock Gibson inlay have the 70,s and 80,s closed '0' or is it open ?

Headstock.jpg
Looks like a closed "O"

Sol

An email to Gibson should give you all the confirmation your looking for. This period, late 80,s to early 90,s is well regarded, and the pickup mod, given the association with Ace Frehley is unlikely to dent the value too much.
You've scored a great 89 flame top three pup Custom, play and enjoy!

Last edited:

kylejt

An email to Gibson should give you all the confirmation your looking for. This period, late 80,s to early 90,s is well regarded, and the pickup mod, given the association with Ace Frehley is unlikely to dent the value too much.
You've scored a great 89 flame top three pup Custom, play and enjoy!

Thanks, and here's what they said:

The pictures and serial number are consistent with a Les Paul Custom model in Heritage Cherry Sunburst finish, made on the 345th day of 1989 in Nashville, TN. Thanks again, and I hope this helps!