• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Questions about 60th Anniversary 1960 Vs

MFI Good Day

Les Paul Forum members:

Now that the 60th anniversary 1960 reissues are hitting the stores, I see that there are some V3 versions that have faded tops that are not Tangerine Burst. I thought by the second half of 1960, all Standards had Tangerine Burst and fading did not occur with those.

Can those in the know chime in and answer if this is period correct? And what about V2s?

Also what about those 1960 reflector knobs? Should they be on all Vs or just V2s (or V2s and V3s)?

CatManDoo88

The colours and features of the different versions of the 60th anniversary R0s are all set out on Gibson's website:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSQK...960-Les-Paul-Standard/V1-Deep-Cherry-Sunburst

V1s come in deep cherry and antiquity burst, V2s in Tomato Soup and Orange Lemon Fade, V3s in wide tomato and washed bourbon burst. Both V2s and V3s have reflector knobs. Neither the V2s nor the V3s seem to come in the 1958-early 1960 faded colours. As TW has made clear in the past, the V1, V2, and V3 separation, just like the R8, R9, and R0 separation, is not exactly historically accurate. There were variations throughout. Personally, based on Burst Serial, I think the use of reflectors for V2s seems odd as there are 1960s with the tomato soup colour without reflectors and many of which are alleged to have the slim 1960 neck profile.

A lot of high end retailers use Gibson's M2M program to order feature mashups (eg. Wildwood Spec R8s with flametops and R0 V2 necks), so you need to be careful to check if what you are seeing are special orders or Gibson's standard models.

MFI Good Day

Thanks a lot! This is useful.

The colours and features of the different versions of the 60th anniversary R0s are all set out on Gibson's website:

https://www.gibson.com/Guitar/CUSQK...960-Les-Paul-Standard/V1-Deep-Cherry-Sunburst

V1s come in deep cherry and antiquity burst, V2s in Tomato Soup and Orange Lemon Fade, V3s in wide tomato and washed bourbon burst. Both V2s and V3s have reflector knobs. Neither the V2s nor the V3s seem to come in the 1958-early 1960 faded colours. As TW has made clear in the past, the V1, V2, and V3 separation, just like the R8, R9, and R0 separation, is not exactly historically accurate. There were variations throughout. Personally, based on Burst Serial, I think the use of reflectors for V2s seems odd as there are 1960s with the tomato soup colour without reflectors and many of which are alleged to have the slim 1960 neck profile.

A lot of high end retailers use Gibson's M2M program to order feature mashups (eg. Wildwood Spec R8s with flametops and R0 V2 necks), so you need to be careful to check if what you are seeing are special orders or Gibson's standard models.