• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to find out past Gibson retail prices

LP007

Hi All, I've seen a few threads asking about old retail prices for guitars and stumbled across a way to get them....

I recently picked up a 335 figured and wanted to know where it sat in the ES335 range in the year it was produced (entry level, middle, top of the range, custom order etc). Based on today's range I knew it would be near the top, but I was interested to know if it was a custom order. So I asked Gibson for details on the guitar via their website and where it sat in the range, then had to provide the usual pictures confirming the serial number etc

They replied with the guitar's details but also with the full range for that production year, including the recommended retail prices. Now I can't say this will work every time, but if you have a guitar and want to know what the RRP was this method could potentially work :)

Sher02

Banned
Hi All, I've seen a few threads asking about old retail prices for guitars and stumbled across a way to get them....

I recently picked up a 335 figured and wanted to know where it sat in the ES335 range in the year it was produced (entry level, middle, top of the range, custom order etc). Based on today's range I knew it would be near the top, but I was interested to know if it was a custom order. So I asked Gibson for details on the guitar via their website and where it sat in the range, then had to provide the usual pictures confirming the serial number etc

They replied with the guitar's details but also with the full range for that production year, including the recommended retail prices. Now I can't say this will work every time, but if you have a guitar and want to know what the RRP was this method could potentially work :)

[FONT=&quot]The Gibson ES-335 was designed as a compromise between the warm, dark sound of a hollow body and the practicality of a solid body guitar such as the Gibson Les Paul, which wasn’t as prone to feedback as a hollow-body.[/FONT]

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner

What year is it, and what model? :hmm