The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member

How to find out past Gibson retail prices

Hi All, I've seen a few threads asking about old retail prices for guitars and stumbled across a way to get them....

I recently picked up a 335 figured and wanted to know where it sat in the ES335 range in the year it was produced (entry level, middle, top of the range, custom order etc). Based on today's range I knew it would be near the top, but I was interested to know if it was a custom order. So I asked Gibson for details on the guitar via their website and where it sat in the range, then had to provide the usual pictures confirming the serial number etc

They replied with the guitar's details but also with the full range for that production year, including the recommended retail prices. Now I can't say this will work every time, but if you have a guitar and want to know what the RRP was this method could potentially work :-)

Re: How to find out past Gibson retail prices

Quote Originally Posted by LP007 View Post
    Hi All, I've seen a few threads asking about old retail prices for guitars and stumbled across a way to get them....

I recently picked up a 335 figured and wanted to know where it sat in the ES335 range in the year it was produced (entry level, middle, top of the range, custom order etc). Based on today's range I knew it would be near the top, but I was interested to know if it was a custom order. So I asked Gibson for details on the guitar via their website and where it sat in the range, then had to provide the usual pictures confirming the serial number etc

They replied with the guitar's details but also with the full range for that production year, including the recommended retail prices. Now I can't say this will work every time, but if you have a guitar and want to know what the RRP was this method could potentially work :-)
    The Gibson ES-335 was designed as a compromise between the warm, dark sound of a hollow body and the practicality of a solid body guitar such as the Gibson Les Paul, which wasn’t as prone to feedback as a hollow-body.

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar

Re: How to find out past Gibson retail prices

Quote Originally Posted by LP007 View Post

What year is it, and what model?
    Pauls to the walls!

Hüter der Flammen!

PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com