• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

1968 Les Paul Custom with the earliest specifications...

lhric

I've seen the huge heel only on customs. Of course, the custom and standard got different necks. Maybe they were assigned to different carvers?

I had a 1968 goldtop standard with the crown inlay and the heel on it was huge. The neck was a “baseball bat”profile as some of those went out. But the pots were dated from the 52nd week of 68 and it looked like the solder was untouched. That is an anomaly in itself. But as one of the older Gibson employees stated before that several employees sanded the necks individually and each had their own finalized touch. He could tell who had sanded and profiled each neck. I sent Stephen a couple pics of that guitar a while ago and he also exclaimed that it had a large heel. Almost like a 50s style. Also on his website there is one of the earliest shipped Standards that went overseas. It still has the large heel but the neck was unfortunately sanded down so no telling what the exact measurements were.

imoemon

I had a 1968 goldtop standard with the crown inlay and the heel on it was huge. The neck was a “baseball bat”profile as some of those went out. But the pots were dated from the 52nd week of 68 and it looked like the solder was untouched. That is an anomaly in itself. But as one of the older Gibson employees stated before that several employees sanded the necks individually and each had their own finalized touch. He could tell who had sanded and profiled each neck. I sent Stephen a couple pics of that guitar a while ago and he also exclaimed that it had a large heel. Almost like a 50s style. Also on his website there is one of the earliest shipped Standards that went overseas. It still has the large heel but the neck was unfortunately sanded down so no telling what the exact measurements were.

The '68GT with crown inray I have seen did not have a huge heel. The neck shape was not so thick.
I think that the guitar of 1968 has a considerable individual difference in the neck shape...
The 1968LPC & GT has really various specifications...It is very interesting!

Last edited:

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
The "get Yer Yayas Out" "burst" was a converted/veneer crown inlay 1968 and the heel was a regular 68 square-ish heel, not real big. Looked pretty 68.