• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Can someone explain Dimarzio's "Air bucker" design used in some PAF models?

Sol

I've heard of "Air coils" that have very low inductance, can someone give a simple explanation of how Dimarzio is using this in many of their lower output PAF style humbuckers?

My 'virtual paf' by Dimarzio apparently uses this design and it was the basis for their 36th anniversary PAF pickups.

My understanding of "Air coils" is that they are best suited for low to mid impedance pickups for use with acoustic instruments for example, which has me wondering if Dimarzio are referring to something different to what I've read In books.?

So, a shout out to all Dimarzio aficionados, your knowledge and insights are welcome.
Please jump in..

Last edited:

PaulD

Re: Can someone explain Dimarzio's "Air bucker" design used in some PAF models?

I think this may be a case of the marketing terminology causing confusion. The inductance of a coil is determined by three main factors, the number of turns of wire, the physical area of the coil and the material that the core is made from (in the case of a guitar pickup the pole pieces are the core). An air cored coil is, as it's name suggests, a coil of wire with air through the middle and it will indeed have a lower inductance than the same coil with a metal core through the middle. However in the case of the pickups in question they do not have an air core, they still have pole pieces so there will be no significant change to the inductance.

As I understand it the Dimarzio Airbuckers have a spacer between the magnet and the pole pieces which has the effect of reducing the magnetic strength and thus reducing the pickup output (in a similar way that using a lower strength A2 magnet instead of a stronger A5 one would). It will not result in a lower inductance.

Sol

PaulD,
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.
Just as you said the ' air coil' I was thinking of would require the poles and slugs to be made of a non magnetic material but I was seriously thinking that this is what Dimarzio had done.

The considerable work the company has invested with this range of pickups, and your explanation of an 'air' gap' ? ,between the magnet and coil is something that I can look into , but forum members with more experience playing Dimarzio's and able to compare their playing experience against Seymour Duncan, Gibson, Fralin, ThroBak, Bare Knuckle.. etc..etc..

For reference I have what I believe to be the two humbuckers Dimarzio have claimed as the inspiration/reference point for the
36th anniversary PAF.
The 'Virtual PAF' and the 'Virtual Hot PAF' .

The two I have are both bridge models with shielded four way wiring and measure out at 8.3k and 9.0 k ohms respectively.

Given their popularity with players it's a shame they're no longer made ,as they offer a tone complimentary with the 36th anniversary PAF's

More PAF good ,less PAF not so good.

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass

From Dimarzio:

<article data-history-node-id="1725" role="article" class="faq teaser clearfix"> What are Airbuckers?
Airbuckers are full-sized humbuckers that contain a gap or space between the magnet and the polepieces. The distance is quite small, and may be filled with nothing but air or by some non-magnetic material. The purpose of the gap is to lessen the magnetic field over the pickup, which in turn lets the string vibrate more freely. This results in a purer, more open sound and improved sustain.

The other purpose of the “air” design is to reliably reproduce the performance of vintage humbuckers (1950s and 60s), many of which contain magnets weakened by age and mishandling. Weakened or "aged" magnets are inherently unstable, and therefore cause unpredictable performance. Airbuckers utilize stable, full-strength magnets, yet the magnetic field is the same as produced by an "aged" magnet, thus offering the performance advantage without the unpredictability.

</article>

Sol

Wilko,, succinct and to the point, your a gent, many thanks

Last edited: