• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Wiring for coil split, possibly phase reverse

David Meiland

I have a '94 Les Paul Standard that came in with EMG active pickups. I want to swap them out for Lollars and replace the pots and caps in the process. Debating whether to use a 50s-style wiring harness, or go with a couple of push/pull pots and wiring for coil-split and possibly phase reverse. I have a McCarty with coil split and it's a nice feature. Any comments appreciated.

rick c

Hi David: This is a highly subjective subject so expect to get highly subjective answers. My perspective on things like this is simple; do what you want to do because you like it; don't care what others think because you may not like or need the same tones and tone options that get suggested. An interesting place to start is why are you changing out the active EMGs, pots and caps? What was wrong? What are you really after?