The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
    Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

2061x replacement

I sold my 2061x head and cab some time ago. I'm having sellers regret.

Other than getting another 2061x is there another amp that someone could recommend that would sound similar but not as loud?

Re: 2061x replacement

Not sure of current status but Ceriatone made a clone that was more friendly on the wallet.

If you want ballpark from common or more readily available amps, it would help to describe settings or tone characteristics you dug from the 2016x...

Good Luck!

I have owned a bunch of EL84 amps including the 2061x twice, the Friedman DS Jr twice and a few /13. They always make me feel like they are missing something. This year I purchased a Morgan MVP23 and it is the EL84 amp I have been wanting. It has an extremely organic tone, it isn't really loud and it sounds like a Marshall + its own thing... It was the best piece of gear I purchased in 2019 and I cannot wait to try the 50 watt version that is coming out..

SBS

Les Paul Forum Member Cliff Gress's Avatar

The amp and cab had a creamy thickness that I liked. I had a 1974x and a Class 5 but those were harsh to my ears.

I'll check out those suggestions.

on the middle & bridge pickup of my L.P. Custom

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Gress View Post
    The amp and cab had a creamy thickness that I liked. I had a 1974x and a Class 5 but those were harsh to my ears.

I'll check out those suggestions.
    Probably the harshness is due to the lower quality components. I have both a 1974x & a 2061x. I put all NOS Phillips/ mustard caps and Piher resistors and better output trannies. They both sound really great!

Les Paul Forum Member

Cornell Plexi 18/20
    Great sounding amp. Switchable rectifier (tube/solid state) and switchable to 5 watts

Possibly a Suhr Badger 18?

It is a modern take on an 18 watt Marshall and sounds great with lots of modern conveniences (power scaling, master volume, and an effects loop). It also has modern tones on tap. It is a glorious sounding little amp in my experience.

One of the best sounding demos of all time on yt.

I don't have a Badger 18, but it is one of my favorite models on my much loved Fractal AX8.

More...

Les Paul Forum Member Pat Boyack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    Cornell Plexi 18/20
    Great sounding amp. Switchable rectifier (tube/solid state) and switchable to 5 watts
    Ditto!!!! Check out the Javelinas playlist on Soundcloud. It's all Cornell 18/20 Plexi through a Vintage Marshall 4x12 cab.