• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2061x replacement

Cliff Gress

I sold my 2061x head and cab some time ago. I'm having sellers regret.

Other than getting another 2061x is there another amp that someone could recommend that would sound similar but not as loud?

jb_abides

Not sure of current status but Ceriatone made a clone that was more friendly on the wallet.

If you want ballpark from common or more readily available amps, it would help to describe settings or tone characteristics you dug from the 2016x...

Good Luck! :salude

SimonBarSinister

I have owned a bunch of EL84 amps including the 2061x twice, the Friedman DS Jr twice and a few /13. They always make me feel like they are missing something. This year I purchased a Morgan MVP23 and it is the EL84 amp I have been wanting. It has an extremely organic tone, it isn't really loud and it sounds like a Marshall + its own thing... It was the best piece of gear I purchased in 2019 and I cannot wait to try the 50 watt version that is coming out..

SBS

Cliff Gress

The amp and cab had a creamy thickness that I liked. I had a 1974x and a Class 5 but those were harsh to my ears.

I'll check out those suggestions.

TM1

The amp and cab had a creamy thickness that I liked. I had a 1974x and a Class 5 but those were harsh to my ears.

I'll check out those suggestions.
Probably the harshness is due to the lower quality components. I have both a 1974x & a 2061x. I put all NOS Phillips/ mustard caps and Piher resistors and better output trannies. They both sound really great!

B.E.

Cornell Plexi 18/20
Great sounding amp. Switchable rectifier (tube/solid state) and switchable to 5 watts

mdubya

Possibly a Suhr Badger 18?

It is a modern take on an 18 watt Marshall and sounds great with lots of modern conveniences (power scaling, master volume, and an effects loop). It also has modern tones on tap. It is a glorious sounding little amp in my experience.

One of the best sounding demos of all time on yt.

I don't have a Badger 18, but it is one of my favorite models on my much loved Fractal AX8.

More...

Pat Boyack

Cornell Plexi 18/20
Great sounding amp. Switchable rectifier (tube/solid state) and switchable to 5 watts

Ditto!!!! Check out the Javelinas playlist on Soundcloud. It's all Cornell 18/20 Plexi through a Vintage Marshall 4x12 cab.