• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

I need help with back plates on a 53

Big D Guitars

I am restoring a 53 les paul and the body is in terrible shape. I need to put a back cap on the back of the guitar, at some point the body was stepped on and attempted repair was done with bondo... lots of cracks and etc... sad story.

I need to know the size of the back plates.

The templates I have today are based off a 59. Does anyone have a 59 and a 53 to compare the back plate sizes? I am assuming the sizes are the same but want to know how much I have to take down of the wood to make this right.

thank you.

for those interested this is part II: https://youtu.be/gigmqyfRGsY

agogetr

I am restoring a 53 les paul and the body is in terrible shape. I need to put a back cap on the back of the guitar, at some point the body was stepped on and attempted repair was done with bondo... lots of cracks and etc... sad story.

I need to know the size of the back plates.

The templates I have today are based off a 59. Does anyone have a 59 and a 53 to compare the back plate sizes? I am assuming the sizes are the same but want to know how much I have to take down of the wood to make this right.

thank you.

for those interested this is part II: https://youtu.be/gigmqyfRGsY
also they are different colored arent they? the guys here will know

dwagar

assuming my back plates are original, is this what you need?

I just have the '53, don't have a '59 to compare.

full

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1

boogieongtr

You already have the size needed for the guitar. From your video you can see the backplate route. Make a template from that and you will be ok. Also if the fretboard didn't have binding I would date it an early 52. After that point all 50's LP Goldtops fretboards had binding.