The Fender Forum
NEW! LPF Facebook Page
NEW! LPF Instagram Page
Merchandise & Donations
NEW! Burst Serial Log Home Page
LPF Homesite
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Les Paul Forum Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    56

    A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Interesting thing seen on Reverb...a '53 that was supposedly sent back to the Gibson factory in 1960 to be burst'ed and re-necked for an ABR neck angle...but the p-90's stayed! Whatd'ya guys think?






    https://reverb.com/item/31715976-195...of-a-kind-rare

  2. #2
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Some place between bad wood & good wood
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Seems like a lot of money for a refinished guitar & the cloudy stinger what's under the paint ?
    The top is 1 piece ? Could be two piece hard to tell from photo's, 58,59,60 would be a burst how do you transition a 53 into a burst ?
    I think I would buy a straight 56 skip all the stories .
    Last edited by AA00475Bassman; 01-30-20 at 06:15 PM.
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

    The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

    The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

    The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

  3. #3
    Les Paul Forum Member Big Al's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Lake Ontario shore
    Posts
    13,953

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    Seems like a lot of money for a refinished guitar & the cloudy stinger what's under the paint ?
    The top is 1 piece ? Could be two piece hard to tell from photo's, 58,59,60 would be a burst how do you transition a 53 into a burst ?
    I do not see plugs for the 53 tail piece was this guitar re topped ?
    I think I would buy a straight 56 skip all the stories .
    53 with bail bridge had no holes in top. I have seen quite a few of these old Goldtops with the same 60's factory burst refin. I think it was a common thing to do. It is what it is and it is cool. Value to be determined by buyer.
    The older I get, the better I was.

  4. #4
    Les Paul Forum Member goldtop0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    At the end of the Long White Cloud
    Posts
    7,734

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Yep I'd buy a '53 54 or 55 and skip the asking $$.

  5. #5
    Les Paul Forum Member GuitarMikey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina
    Posts
    901

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    Seems like a lot of money for a refinished guitar & the cloudy stinger what's under the paint ?
    The top is 1 piece ? Could be two piece hard to tell from photo's, 58,59,60 would be a burst how do you transition a 53 into a burst ?
    I think I would buy a straight 56 skip all the stories .
    They also have two M-69 pickup rings for a "new lower price" of $9,495. Get those and some PAFs and you could get started on a $110,000 53/60 conversion
    GuitarMikey

  6. #6
    Les Paul Forum Member fakejake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    lost in the changes
    Posts
    1,121

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Is that the one that popped up at Rudy's a couple of months ago?

  7. #7
    Les Paul Forum Member Tarcisioo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    376

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    I mean, you are paying for original 1960 Gibson nitrocellulose. The guitar has been authenticated and there are factory stamps on it (although I didn't spot any on the pictures).

    I wouldn't call this simply a conversion or a refin, that's quite unfair. But should it cost 200% more than a modern conversion? I don't know. I would guess so. If it wasn't a 1960 tomato soup, and let's say a great 59 burst, I bet the price would be higher. The number 59 carries some weight for whoever is selling, lol

  8. #8
    Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,442

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    I don't know anything about value, but I do think it's a cool anomaly and hope it stays a "P-90 1960 burst"
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

  9. #9
    Les Paul Forum Member J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,609

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Top might have a slightly offset seam near the D string.

  10. #10
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Some place between bad wood & good wood
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarcisioo View Post
    I mean, you are paying for original 1960 Gibson nitrocellulose. The guitar has been authenticated and there are factory stamps on it (although I didn't spot any on the pictures).

    I wouldn't call this simply a conversion or a refin, that's quite unfair. But should it cost 200% more than a modern conversion? I don't know. I would guess so. If it wasn't a 1960 tomato soup, and let's say a great 59 burst, I bet the price would be higher. The number 59 carries some weight for whoever is selling, lol
    (you are paying for original 1960 Gibson nitrocellulose.)

    So how much is up charge for this 89,995.00 factory refinished Guitar ?

    How much is 1960 Nitro finish worth ?

    All this & no sign of the Burst Police , They must all be eating donut's !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

    The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

    The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

    The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

  11. #11
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,570

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    (you are paying for original 1960 Gibson nitrocellulose.)

    So how much is up charge for this 89,995.00 factory refinished Guitar ?

    How much is 1960 Nitro finish worth ?

    All this & no sign of the Burst Police , They must all be eating donut's !
    Who is that?
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  12. #12
    Les Paul Forum Member jimmi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Music City
    Posts
    1,844

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Factory stoptail and tunomatic with factory ‘60 burst nitro. I would put PAFs in it. I would. I am reluctant generally to commit further sin on a vintage instrument but it is so close I think the temptation would be to big.

  13. #13
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Some place between bad wood & good wood
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    53 with bail bridge had no holes in top. I have seen quite a few of these old Goldtops with the same 60's factory burst refin. I think it was a common thing to do. It is what it is and it is cool. Value to be determined by buyer.
    I was for some reason thinking 54, well aware of the configuration 53 corrected my post as soon as possible. So tonight I read your correction thank you for taking your time to correct my post !
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

    The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

    The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

    The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

  14. #14
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Some place between bad wood & good wood
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Wittrock View Post
    Who is that?
    Geez Tom not directed at anyone very little activity on this thread .
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

    The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

    The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

    The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

  15. #15
    Les Paul Forum Member J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,609

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by jimmi View Post
    Factory stoptail and tunomatic with factory ‘60 burst nitro. I would put PAFs in it. I would. I am reluctant generally to commit further sin on a vintage instrument but it is so close I think the temptation would be to big.
    I'd be tempted as well, as long as the P90 routes were completely hidden. Would have to be a very precise job by someone who knows what they are doing.

    At the asking price, though, seems this one is going to stay as-is for awhile

  16. #16
    Les Paul Forum Member Tarcisioo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    376

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    If I had the money, I would pay for that. A little negotiation here and there. I simply can't understand why isn't ok for this very unique guitar only touched by Gibson on their golden years to cost, let's say, 80 to 90k, but it's ok for a bland burst to cost 150-200k

    I hope it sells and I hope it never loses it's P-90s

    If the price is really that high, I hope burst prices go down, as this guitar looks more valueable to me than many plaintop bursts.

  17. #17
    Les Paul Forum Co-Owner Tom Wittrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Lost in the Ozarks [again]
    Posts
    42,570

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by AA00475Bassman View Post
    Geez Tom not directed at anyone very little activity on this thread .
    I just thought they had moved on ... maybe retired.
    I was hoping they weren't around here.
    Pauls to the walls!

    Hüter der Flammen!

    PLEASE SUPPORT www.burstserial.com !!
    Click here: www.burstserial.com

  18. #18
    Les Paul Forum Member thin sissy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,442

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarcisioo View Post
    If I had the money, I would pay for that. A little negotiation here and there. I simply can't understand why isn't ok for this very unique guitar only touched by Gibson on their golden years to cost, let's say, 80 to 90k, but it's ok for a bland burst to cost 150-200k

    I hope it sells and I hope it never loses it's P-90s

    If the price is really that high, I hope burst prices go down, as this guitar looks more valueable to me than many plaintop bursts.
    Well put . I just can't imagine how this is less cool (a genuine factory 1960 burst with P-90's!) than yet another PAF conversion, with plugged routes that never are invisible, no matter the skill of the luthier. All the conversions I've seen lately makes me really glad I at least have a 55 P-90 goldtop.
    This is a song from the new album, it's a deep meaningful song this one... No, it's not whiskey in the fucking jar... Philip Lynott

  19. #19

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarcisioo View Post
    as this guitar looks more valueable to me than many plaintop bursts.
    maybe to yourself but not in the real world

  20. #20
    Les Paul Forum Member J.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    9,609

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    +1

    Pretty much any original guitar, converted to something it is not (regardless of who did it and when) is generally going to have a market value much less than its original equivalent.

  21. #21

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Seeing this guitar makes me wonder why they don't do more bursts with P90's. The cream colored PU's look pretty sweet! It's a cool alternative from gold tops and black customs.

  22. #22
    Les Paul Forum Member AA00475Bassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Some place between bad wood & good wood
    Posts
    2,708

    Re: A burst with P-90's! '53/'60 Factory Conversion

    Quote Originally Posted by Icandrive55 View Post
    Seeing this guitar makes me wonder why they don't do more bursts with P90's. The cream colored PU's look pretty sweet! It's a cool alternative from gold tops and black customs.
    Gibson did some Sunburst R4's 2014[IMG][/IMG]
    Ive never confused owning a bunch of high end gear with being some kind of a guitar player I'm a hack and I love guitars !

    The myth :The most disturbing thing about buying a fake Les Paul is how my research after the purchase is received by Forum members ??? 2020

    The Myth: Neat wiring layouts always equate to great-sounding amps.

    The Myth: If I would have lived with MOM & mooched till I was 48 I would play like Clapton !
    Think about it
    won't you ...... Please !

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Scroll Down And Click On All Of Our Sponsors' Logos For Their Websites!



i