• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2013 R9

ezra1

Generally the first thing I do with most of my guitars is upgrade the pickups.
I got a new R9 in 2013 and the pickups are great . This never happens to me and I will keep this guitar stock.
What did Gibson use that year should I want to try to pick up a used pair for another guitar ?

corpse

Hey Ezra- Welcome
Those were the first of the "Custombuckers"- and having owned Shaws, 57Classics, Burstbucker2's, OX4's (Aftermarket) and had one excellent set of PAF's live here in the Bunker for several months, they are the pick of the PAF replacement litter- meaning the CB's. Smooth or nasty, they get that jangly (my adjectives haven't fully woken up yet) middle tone like PAF's do.
I dig em. Many here do as well. They are tough to find as most guys hang onto them.

Last edited:

renderit

I got one of those as well.

I am very happy with the pickups.

So happy it started a buying spree.

While about half have gotten new pickups the 2013's stayed.

36073911300_419082c36e_3k.jpg

ezra1

I did find last night that these Custom Buckers were Underwound A3.
Very sweet

goldtop0

I've got a '13 R8 and the Custombuckers are great with the bridge being one of the best sounding humbucker pups I've ever played(PAFs, T-Tops, Timbuckers).
Not all CBs are underwound though..........mine read 7.77 neck and 7.87 bridge.

Big Al

The only ones I have with stock pickups are 2013 R8 & R9. I literally have boxes of booteek, custom wound and vintage pickups to choose from, but there is no need.

corpse

But Big Al also factors in how they smell.
Go figure.