• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Flying V wiring - no tone neck pickup.

StSpider

A buddy is building me a flying v with the classic 3 pots setup.

I was thinking of going neck volume, bridge volume and only wire the tone to the bridge pickup.

I use it a lot on the bridge pickup but hardly ever on the neck pickup so I though I might skip it entirely.

Two questions tho: will the volume taper on the neck pickup work as always even tho there is no tone pot? Because I run the volume pot a lot and I need for it to clean up good (I use 50s wiring and single channel amps, no pedals).

Will it sound weird in the middle position? how will the tone pot behave in that situation? Like a master tone (I doubt it)?

PaulD

It won't have any effect on the taper of the volume control and in the middle position it will be identical to the standard wiring as with the switch in this position the circuit will be electrically identical. Removing the tone control from the neck pickup will have a small effect on the tone of that pickup because even when a tone control is on 10 it has a small effect on the pickup loading, the pickup will be marginally brighter without the tone control (if you have ever played a Strat with a no load tone pot that is the same effect).

To wire it as you suggest would be a very simple mod, you only need to move 1 connection. Instead of connecting the tone cap to the output of the switch you would connect it to the centre lug of the bridge volume pot (assuming 50's wiring) so it would be simple to try it if you wanted to.