• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Tune-O-Matic bridge setup for dummies

Snowmonkey

Hi all, I have a 2016 studio, basic model. I have had a fiddle around with the bridge and tail piece heights, but not convinced they are right.

Can someone point me to good step-by-step LP bridge adjustment document. I prefer to read rather than watch a video.

Also, I can't seem to stop my low and high E strings touching the back of the bridge without raising up the tailpiece quite a bit. I have read in some places a high tailpiece is bad because of the forward pressure. I have also read strings must not touch the back of the bridge. And some people say neither of these things are an issue.

So I am a bit overwhelmed with conflicting advice. Any help gratefully received...

Big Al

Do a search. This topic has been covered many times. Dan Earlwines book covers it, there is also a specific Les Paul book that is all about setup and modding Les Pauls.

Snowmonkey

I did. I found some videos which all say different things, and some forum advice again with conflicting advice. I know what is right for one person is not right for the next, but ideally I want to find some basic instructions, what order to do things in. Hoping there might be a Gibson manual floating around out there but I have been unable to find one.

I will take a look at the books you suggested. Local guitar tech isn't really an option as I live in the middle of nowhere...

Big Al

I did. I found some videos which all say different things, and some forum advice again with conflicting advice. I know what is right for one person is not right for the next, but ideally I want to find some basic instructions, what order to do things in. Hoping there might be a Gibson manual floating around out there but I have been unable to find one.

I will take a look at the books you suggested. Local guitar tech isn't really an option as I live in the middle of nowhere...

I can't get to my books but IIRC Dan Earlewine's book is How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great, ? and the other one is The Les Paul Handbook, or something close. I can't remember the author.

They should prove helpful.

Snowmonkey

Thanks, I will take a look at those books.

I got some info from Gibson on factory setup which will get me back to a good starting point. They say;

We do set our instruments up at the factory to these specifications, measured at the 12[SUP]th[/SUP] fret:
string height: treble side 3/64" = 1.19 mm
bass side 5/64" = 1.9843 mm
pickup height: 3/32" = 2.38125 mm on the neck pickup and 1/16" = 1.5875 mm on the bridge pickup; these heights are used for humbuckers, for P-90’s you need to keep 1-2 mm extra distance from the pickups due to more feedback issues.
Pickup Height - Measured from top of pickup to bottom of the string when string is depressed at the last fret.

I also read somewhere that if the tailpiece is raised, it could put too much forward pressure on the posts due to string tension. However, I have decided that is nonsense because looking at photos of Les Paul set ups, the tailpiece is nearly always raised up. And that also keeps the strings off the back of the bridge.

My string gauge arrives today so hopefully I will get it set up and playing well! Thanks for your help...