• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1959 owned by G.E Smith in early 80’s

Yuxi

Dear forum member.

I’d like to introduce my 1959 Burst what had been owned by G.E Smith till in early 80’s. This burst sold at Tokyo in 2001. So long time same owner hold it and I got it September 7th in 2019.

Some Japanese magazine featured G.E Smith gears live at Tokyo in 1982. And there are some fact that this guitar was owned by G.E. Not only magazine article and photos but also sticker which is proof of possession by him.

Unfortunately this guitar was dropped from G.E’s hand accidentally and headstock was snapped off. After that he repaired and used. But we don’t know who repair it. Head Top Hollywood and logo, Fingerboard were seemed to be reused.

I strongly want to know about history of this Burst. If anybody know about this guitar’s history, please full fill the piece of story. I’d like to know any kind of information about this guitar.

I’ll update more photos.

Thanks Folks.

4DDF8148-30B0-4D35-9778-8F126E54C2EC.jpgView attachment 10946

Last edited:

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
I have no info. Curious if you've tried to contact him?

Yuxi

Do you mind sharing the serial number?
I’m willingly open the serial. This number re-stamped not exist number. I understood it when I bought. Number was 9 6886. So this post is what I want to know the original serial. Now the serial number is Re-Re-stamped by myself as 9 0127. So this is not appropriate serial.

there are so many facts that this Burst was owned by G.E Smith. And there are proof of evidence like a video and photos. But serial was missed.

I don’t need to hide the background. But I want to clarify this fact. This Is 59 burst but serial had been forgotten. A0E1B157-AB86-46CF-89AF-BB36925C0738.jpg

Attachments

• EE46630A-EEDA-46EA-AEF0-07D383BDFF98.jpg
    EE46630A-EEDA-46EA-AEF0-07D383BDFF98.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 106

Yuxi

View attachment 1096499BD6E01-54FA-4D1C-A164-6AE7C8A677A6.jpg4A25B0F2-CB21-4137-85C5-734C6A483911.jpgACF01BC7-79D4-4F1C-8CBC-9D9D6D97AFD8.jpg50B47F99-0C0B-4557-AE1B-8F12B955D5BD.jpg

Pickups are Double White PAF and uncovered. Escussion Ring is original M-69 Ring. Top and Back is original finished. Headstock May be over sprayed

fakejake

Great looking guitar!
Also, GE Smith seems to be one of the coolest guys ever.
Congrats on such a great piece of gear!:salude

sws1

In your pictures, I can't see the headstock break. Where exactly is it? Or did they use new wood for the repair?

Congrats.

Yuxi

In your pictures, I can't see the headstock break. Where exactly is it? Or did they use new wood for the repair?

Congrats.

thanks for your message. I mentioned that this Burst neck was broken and headstock holy wood and fingerboard reused and re-necked.

So that this neck was rebuilt. But so far nobody knows who repaired it.

akstrat61

Did Mike Hickey tech for Hall & Oates back in the day? For some reason, I thought I remember hearing that. If so, he is a member here and is extremely well versed in Bursts and may recall some info? Just a thought. Good luck in your quest!:dude:

Yuxi

Did Mike Hickey tech for Hall & Oates back in the day? For some reason, I thought I remember hearing that. If so, he is a member here and is extremely well versed in Bursts and may recall some info? Just a thought. Good luck in your quest!:dude:

OMG!!!!

thank you for your grateful information!
ill try to contact!

El Gringo

Greetings , and Welcome . You have a fine Burst with tons of mojo and history including the GE Smith lineage which is so awesome in and of itself . I can see the break on the back of the headstock and the front as well . Whoever did the repair did a tremendous job of a rescue and my compliments to him as well . I am curious as to the sound of the instrument and the tone of the PAF's , are they a hot pair ?

Yuxi

Greetings , and Welcome . You have a fine Burst with tons of mojo and history including the GE Smith lineage which is so awesome in and of itself . I can see the break on the back of the headstock and the front as well . Whoever did the repair did a tremendous job of a rescue and my compliments to him as well . I am curious as to the sound of the instrument and the tone of the PAF's , are they a hot pair ?

Thank you for your comment. I have not yet investigated the resistance. I'm doing a reflet right now, so check with the repair staff. The Burst has original double white PAF and not opened. I’ll update my PAF’s resistance.

El Gringo

Thank you for your comment. I have not yet investigated the resistance. I'm doing a reflet right now, so check with the repair staff. The Burst has original double white PAF and not opened. I’ll update my PAF’s resistance.

Thank You and I will await anxiously . Best Wishes on a most historical Sunburst Les Paul !

mistersnappy

Been following on Instagram. Congrats and I hope to see many more pics and possibly sound clips in the future! :dude::salude

Yuxi

Thank you so much! I could have contact with him! But so far serial number couldn’t find yet.

Yuxi

Do you mind sharing the serial number?
Sorry for late. I re-stamped 9 0127. My burst stamped incorrect number and missed now. So I stamped this number.

Attachments

• E0B63D28-7669-4E78-A7B6-0602D07FDCA2.jpg
    E0B63D28-7669-4E78-A7B6-0602D07FDCA2.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 42