• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson firebrand les paul uneven seams on body?

Whitenoise

I have a 1979 Gibson the paul (walnut body & neck) that seems to have uneven seams where the multiple pieces of the body were glued together. On the top of the body at two seams, the height of the middle piece seems slightly lower than the two on each side, causing a feel-able seam. On the side at the bottom it's pretty much even, and on the back more even then the top.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it actually a crack or something to worry about? It is solid. I suspect it's not any to worry about, just cosmetic, and maybe just came to be during the sanding process after the pieces of the body were glued together. Or that particular piece shrunk over time front to back as it's shorter on top, and just slightly shorter on the bottom, compared to the top pieces on either side, hence the feel-able seam. Just wanted to hear other opinions, thanks!
fE2jEmX.jpg

Gpw56CT.jpg

6hhkcQV.jpg

lprHH1M.jpg

Wilko

All Access/Backstage Pass
yep. That's time. Different pieces of wood that dried and aged differently.

Whitenoise

yep. That's time. Different pieces of wood that dried and aged differently.

Does this effect the strutural integrity, or is this just cosmetic and not something to worry about? It's not a gap, it's the one piece is slight shorter than the two pieces on the side.

Wilko

not usually a problem, but if the difference/shrinkage is too much the glue joint could theoretically fail. The glues they used are plenty plastic and they 'creep' so it's fine.

Whitenoise

not usually a problem, but if the difference/shrinkage is too much the glue joint could theoretically fail. The glues they used are plenty plastic and they 'creep' so it's fine.

So plastic based glues are more flexible? Also, should I humidify the guitar by using the sponge in case technique like with acoustics, or would that potentially mess with it by expanding the wood, doing more harm than good? I've only ever humidified acoustics, never electrics.

Wilko

its fine. Just play it. no worries at all.

mdubya

Character.

I always liked those. My kind of guitar.