• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Horn shapes: Memphis '63 ES-335 vs. New 1964 ES-335

sgg83

For 2020 Gibson released a new 1964 ES-335 as made famous by Eric Clapton. This model features pointy horns than earlier versions, which were also seen on the previously made Memphis 63 ES-335.

Now, there are not a ton of pictures out there and in watching several NAMM videos the Gibson CS says they scanned some original guitars, specifically naming the 59 etc to match horn contours and neck shapes. They don't explicitly say they retooled the 64 shapes.

Anybody know that if the new 1964 has re-designed ear shapes that are more accurate than the previous 63 version? Im basically deciding between the two and would prefer the most accurate body shape. I am not too picky for neck size so if that is the only main difference i would opt for the cheaper 63 model.

I apologize not sure if this should be in other guitar section or Gibson custom

Thanks!

Mr. Legit

For 2020 Gibson released a new 1964 ES-335 as made famous by Eric Clapton. This model features pointy horns than earlier versions, which were also seen on the previously made Memphis 63 ES-335.

Now, there are not a ton of pictures out there and in watching several NAMM videos the Gibson CS says they scanned some original guitars, specifically naming the 59 etc to match horn contours and neck shapes. They don't explicitly say they retooled the 64 shapes.

Anybody know that if the new 1964 has re-designed ear shapes that are more accurate than the previous 63 version? Im basically deciding between the two and would prefer the most accurate body shape. I am not too picky for neck size so if that is the only main difference i would opt for the cheaper 63 model.

I apologize not sure if this should be in other guitar section or Gibson custom

Thanks!

They scanned at least a few ‘64 ES335’s to get it right this year from what I was told. In addition to that, they also have all true historic parts, upgraded knobs, an upgraded logo, and a new more accurate case(TBD). They also got the grain pattern of the top maple correct this year. If money is no issue, then hands down the ‘64 would be a far better option in my opinion, but that doesn’t mean the right Memphis ‘63 RI would be a bad guitar. The ‘63 also has a much slimmer neck compared to the ‘64. The ‘64 has extremely worthy upgrades at least to me and quality was far superior to the 2015 Memphis one I owned. BUT I also held NAMM examples! Good luck, this is a tough choice if price is an issue.