• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Using Marshall Amps

jrgtr42

I have a couple Marshall heads along with all my other amps -
a 4100 - JCM900 Dual Reverb, and a '75 JMP, that was modded to a master /gain config.
Both run into a 1936 2x12 cab.

Ace139

TSL 100 / with a basket weave 4x12A cab. Not sure what the POV is on these, I had it for about 15 years and I think it gets really good Marshall Tone - nothing like the percussive feel and sound of a closed back 4X12 with a great LP - except the full stack of course.

goldtop0

1974X and a JTM45 clone and soon to be at home 1973X..............a full complement of tube goodness.
In the past I had a 2558 Silver Jub combo but didn't like that amp that much at all unfortunately it just didn't do it for me.

jb_abides

Real: 2061x Handwired, JCM 800 Lead CSA (Canadian)
Clone: 1974x Rocky Top, JTM45: Soultone 45 Forty-Five ME3, Plexi: THD Flexi 50
... could list a bunch more in "Marshall Territory" :salude

Last edited:

65Firebird

_XBGtQMbS4Im9zOgT0BkTBnJ5yWXktzbzvD2e9qTvirBTRi_X6q03tzHR3_vOkaAQC-HSAjkQqJZo9W-SiNmRnVdYjwrlkwbLWQnz-ix1_Nwn62JRu-AAIqaJ7uC2RPbgOZdmI45X4tRWPEUxEWSHJljTYmQsotOdGy7bfroy3sXMWeBjLVzINkRAD4ClkqG8rSU1QErLq5myvvE7hJfPCD3ekYWeEfDS4-u0gRhO74nIokEjOK_A9nPQ46PEIXcFtIhm_Q55v-3sx2qPwN04_c-datT0YCOVf6VBku7WYoFO-f-1dt_Z8Uiv82gBOPIsGLuI20jWlyRVtp8euosXrrgdG7ISv8mdqd8bOujleKn19jHFJgwcIouUwZUNlC5z7Ic3ZSqy9pifz6uyVfPNoqmYghkK_Ym_jjme7l-XmE53rsXXdoK3Syeiv88HCSBN4qwSy5Rx0hm4FbVbQt7OuXwmjNv1BX1ky58UGLU_VpTK1KerecTnV28IB7OjvC5XhAqJTVN2PGUmGJlZkMmhcbWcvqXS0p0Kju0rLkM4aDzMqQ_KmEhNLQz6Q3CZJt-CP4N7WpsR3KfvfK0pwiA6zZYHPkg3-NzULbvX_4U8lPX81rYU30k5JdDqO1rRYavtAS8a-wOojcgyGnj9J2uoOHqcnFxBDFwRWJzaC1f_zUuepIm2XDIcZk4=w1250-h937-no

:salude

GuitarMikey

I have a JTM 45 Offset half stack that's 1 of 300. Super cool amp.
But my main gigging amp is a early 90s blues breaker reissue with mercury magnets and tone tubby speakers.

sonar

'72 Super Lead w/Basketweave 4X12.

Sadly, '20 might be the year she finally goes to a new home. Sound of the Gods, but too much amp for anything I'll do with guitar moving forward.

AA00475Bassman

KYpEWtp.jpg
[/IMG]
She was a lonely girl some might say a Dog sitting under the table at a guitar show 25 some years ago . I took her home nothing comes between us our signal is straight in . She eats tweed deluxe's & Craps baby Bassmans . one of my favorite Marshalls, 6v6 tubes !

Last edited:

metropolis

All of them... Kemper Fi!!!

Ditto! Since buying my Kemper around 9 months ago my amps have seen very little, if any use.

The only Marshall I own is a 1936 2x12, but at least that does work with the Kemper!

Last edited:

Tonebender

Purple Ceriatone JTM45 clone head into a purple 2x12 Bluesbreaker extension cab with Mojotone G12-30H speakers.

mdubya

1976 JMP 2204 and a mid 80's Lead 12. I have a Lead 20 somewhere, too.

Ultimately, I play through my Fractal AX8 99.9% of the time. I like the 1959SLP model and I prefer the Suhr Badger models and some of the other models over the vintage Plexi models.

My friend owns a few real plexis and a killer JTM 50 clone. The JTM 50 clone is THE quintessential Marshall. Sounds better than the aging and drifting "real thing" plexis.

Modeling has a very tough time replicating the experience of the real deal plexi. But I cannot play a real plexi in the way it needs to be played to get that experience, either. In that case, the modeler offers more good tones at low volume than any real amp can.

The 2204 was my gigging amp throughout the 90's. Road worn by me. I run the AX8 through it sometimes now, just for kicks.

OF97HuV.jpg

The Lead 12 with make you feel like a teen locked in your bedroom again. This is a pleasing rig.

5SITXbZ.jpg

My usual play station. It is like a little fantasy world rabbit hole I climb down any time I want. Love it.

Oa9kmoI.jpg

jb_abides

Ultimately, I play through my Fractal AX8 99.9% of the time.

<><><><><><><>

Modeling has a very tough time replicating the experience of the real deal plexi. But I cannot play a real plexi in the way it needs to be played to get that experience, either. In that case, the modeler offers more good tones at low volume than any real amp can.

Good post, thanks. :salude

As I ponder a home move, I am really taking stock and coming to grips with this truth. Trying to decide whether attenuation and keeping my portfolio of cool, boutique, vintage real tube amps on hand is the path to go... :hmm

Or move them on to new vistas, and scale-down to a handful of core tube amps, and feel OK with the advent of Kemper, Fractal, etc. I know these have earned kudos for some time but I've never gone there, just Line 6 POD.

Thanks for giving me much to ponder! (Amps, and thinning the stringed herd. GAS is turning to GDS: disposition syndrome... well, really thinking scale-down to trade-up more likely).

mdubya

Good post, thanks. :salude

As I ponder a home move, I am really taking stock and coming to grips with this truth. Trying to decide whether attenuation and keeping my portfolio of cool, boutique, vintage real tube amps on hand is the path to go... :hmm

Or move them on to new vistas, and scale-down to a handful of core tube amps, and feel OK with the advent of Kemper, Fractal, etc. I know these have earned kudos for some time but I've never gone there, just Line 6 POD.

Thanks for giving me much to ponder! (Amps, and thinning the stringed herd. GAS is turning to GDS: disposition syndrome... well, really thinking scale-down to trade-up more likely).

:peace2

I would suggest testing the waters before turning all of your old favorites loose.

There are many good options.

The Line 6 Helix stuff can do an incredible amount of things at really reasonable prices comparatively.

The Strymon Iridium is simple, has killer tone, and really affordable for how good the tone is.

The Kemper and Fractal stuff is amazing if you can figure out which suits you best.

I have zero regrets with the AX8. It took me some time and a little bit of frustration to fully bond, but I love it more than ever nearly 3 years on and I have a pretty good handle on its capabilities and how to use it. It has expanded my world significantly.

agogetr

'72 Super Lead w/Basketweave 4X12.

Sadly, '20 might be the year she finally goes to a new home. Sound of the Gods, but too much amp for anything I'll do with guitar moving forward.
you have "the one' early metal super lead! it doesnt get any better! have you heard about the 'power station'?

Norton

The early 80s 2001 (bottom) was my workhorse for over a decade. It paired with different cabinets over the years and always got the job done. I started to worry about dragging it out to places due to it's rarity and picked up the VBA400 (Top) as a gigging replacement. An equally good amp with a little more flexibility (and easier to carry due to the type of handles)

For studio stuff I've used both a '79 Park combo and a modded Bluesbreaker reissue. They're both great amps on either bass or guitar.