• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NAD

goldtop0

My hunt for the elusive 1973X has ended today with a successful bid for one on our local auction site.
Mint as mint can be and never gigged......amp candy and pristine. There were only 2 of these ever to come into the country so I consider myself very fortunate to be able to own one.
And before you say 'where's a pic or it didn't happen' I pick it up late next week from up north.
Will try some alnicos in it after a time and see if they work their magic like they do in my other amps.

akstrat61

Way cool! Congrats!:dude:

I will be following this thread for pics and a tone report!:jim:salude:jim

goldtop0

Tonewise I can wax lyrical about it already as I've had a '74X for 4 years now and it's the old Marshall sound from the '60s.
But here's the rub, I've never played an original 1974 or 1973 as they're just not around in this part of the world, and when I've traveled to the US at the Arlington show there were none there either.
Have seen the A/Bs on youtube with Doug & Pat and Joe Bonamassa playing the old and new ones and prefer the sound of the ri's, which I put down to the pinstripe grille covering that inhibits the acoustic quality of the old amps making them sound somewhat muffled by comparison.

Last edited:

akstrat61

I think that Joe posted a recent pic of him at Abby Road playing one? Might be used on the new recordings?:hmm