• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Polaroid Photos of Modern Reissue

AA00475Bassman

Never said that my photos accurately represented the color. Most photos of reissue are digital and modern, like the guitars themselves. I used what I had access to for these photos, to show what a modern guitar would look like if photographed in a similar manner as the vintage photos showed.
I really like the guitar photos with film not digital & the polaroid is very pleasing to my eye .

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Never said that my photos accurately represented the color. Most photos of reissue are digital and modern, like the guitars themselves. I used what I had access to for these photos, to show what a modern guitar would look like if photographed in a similar manner as the vintage photos showed.

Were the photos with the 2016 copyright actually taken in 2016? Either way, I love the vintage atmosphere the Polaroids impart.

McHenry

Greetings , I for one like your photos and like the contrast between your photos and the modern digital impressions . 2 things jumped out at me from your photos was Nice Sunburst Les Paul . The first of the 2 things were , is that a Cello ? the one in blue ? and what is the story behind the photo with Keith Richards and Bill Wyman ? That is really cool ! Keith sporting his Bigsby equipped Sunburst Les Paul Which I have to guess between 64- 65 ? ( the year this photo was taken ) this is the Les Paul that Keith had Ian Stewart sell for him to Mick Taylor while he was still playing with John Mayall prior to joining the Stones In July of 1969 ,replacing the late Brian Jones who died in mysterious circumstances by drowning in a swimming pool after being fired from "his" band !

I appreciate that. For clarification, those photons were to prove the point of poloroid (or I am assuming that’s what they are) of bursts early on in their life. I’m not entirely sure about the Keith burst photo. I’ve always been a fan of that guitar and I’m surprised people don’t get as hyped about the guitar (compared to the Greene/Moore burst) considering all the hands it has passed through!

McHenry

Were the photos with the 2016 copyright actually taken in 2016? Either way, I love the vintage atmosphere the Polaroids impart.

I went through Burst Serial Log to find those photos (plenty of old pictures of bursts on there) to prove the point about old pictures (Polaroids) of bursts. I can only assume 2016 is when those photos were scanned in.They even had pictures of the guitar brand new but they were black and white. And I agree with you about the vibe of the old pictures, that’s why I think they’re making a comeback among the my generation.

El Gringo

I appreciate that. For clarification, those photons were to prove the point of poloroid (or I am assuming that’s what they are) of bursts early on in their life. I’m not entirely sure about the Keith burst photo. I’ve always been a fan of that guitar and I’m surprised people don’t get as hyped about the guitar (compared to the Greene/Moore burst) considering all the hands it has passed through!
Very good point about the Keith Richards Burst not being appreciated enough . I for one am biased as a Stones Fan and would love and appreciate the Keith Burst more , also Greenie has a repaired headstock break . I have not heard of a hair being out of place other than the after market Bigsby installation ,but as that's part of the historic aspect and DNA of the instrument that is important as well . One point of praise from me for Greenie is that is actually being played on stage today thanks to Kirk Hammett .

surfreak

Those colors look far off from reality. Or is that case some weird color? :hmm

And could you please show some original era photos of Bursts done with a Polaroid? I don't remember seeing Polaroid's back then.

I wish we could take things a bit more light-heartedly around here.

I totally get the OP's intention: nobody claims that the colors are close to reality, nor wants to do a like for like comparison with pictures taken back in the original era, and surely nobody cares about forensics on whether there are original era Polaroids of a Burst.

Modern Polaroid (or Instax/Sofort, as in this case) instant pics are analog photos that give a vintage patina to any image, and makes us reminisce of the old days.
Likewise, modern Historics are a recreation of old Bursts, and it is fun to photograph them with an instant camera. Again, just simple fun, nothing more.

McHenry

I wish we could take things a bit more light-heartedly around here.

I totally get the OP's intention: nobody claims that the colors are close to reality, nor wants to do a like for like comparison with pictures taken back in the original era, and surely nobody cares about forensics on whether there are original era Polaroids of a Burst.

Modern Polaroid (or Instax/Sofort, as in this case) instant pics are analog photos that give a vintage patina to any image, and makes us reminisce of the old days.
Likewise, modern Historics are a recreation of old Bursts, and it is fun to photograph them with an instant camera. Again, just simple fun, nothing more.

Couldn’t agree more. Thanks man👍🏻

AA00475Bassman

Couldn’t agree more. Thanks man👍🏻

McHenry did not say the guitars were photoed when they were new in his OP .
Here is what McHenry posted ( Polaroid pictures of bursts when they were quite new )
Even with time duration of (almost new) being subjective & debatable I think most of us understood McHenry's point.
Maybe the case some of us might enjoy the effects of Polariod or 35 mm film not digital and seeing these photos and yes taking shots of your own guitars .

McHenry

McHenry did not say the guitars were photoed when they were new in his OP .
Here is what McHenry posted ( Polaroid pictures of bursts when they were quite new )
Even with time duration of (almost new) being subjective & debatable I think most of us understood McHenry's point.
Maybe the case some of us might enjoy the effects of Polariod or 35 mm film not digital and seeing these photos and yes taking shots of your own guitars .

I appreciate the positive feedback. I really thought it was a novel idea. For as much talk as there is over vintage guitars I figured might as well see them in a vintage context to see how the reissues shape up. I would not have assumed people would take issue with that.

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
I have not heard of a hair being out of place other than the after market Bigsby installation , ...

Are you referring to the Keith Burst [in the photo]? :hmm

If so, there is certainly one or more "hairs" out of place.

El Gringo

The serial number has been restamped [with an unrealistic number]. I don't know why, but maybe more finish issues with the neck exist?

Do you think the serial # has been tampered with due to questionable issues with owner ship since Keith Richards/ Mick Taylor ?