• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Favorite Year LP Classic & Why?

JYD

Sold my GC special run Traditional because it was pretty heavy the way I move on stage. I want another LP and am looking at the Classics for their Slim 60s necks (I mainly play USA Schecter PTs/Teles and Charvel).

Curious what years you like best and why. The 2019 looks pretty good!

Cheers.

LP007

I haven't tried a great range of LP Classics, but my 2017 Classic Traditional is a brilliant guitar all round.
The 57 classics sound brilliant and the slim taper neck is wonderfully playable. The guitar does have weight relief and doesn't have any of the push/pull options, some prefer or hate these features, it's up to you. Someone recently started another thread in this section of the forum on LP classic 2019s and a few people have commented on the tone and pickups being below average, I believe the 61 set are now being used. Finally, the rosewood on the neck of my 2017 is lovely and dark, in contrast to more recent Gibsons, and the binding is also slightly thicker than 2019s I've played.

Good luck in your search and keep us updated! :)

JYD

Yeah, that was me that started the other thread. I just pulled the trigger on a 2017 LPC T Cherry Burst. Has some buckle rash and what not, but I'm ok with that. Got a great deal on it. The 2019s I played seemed pretty good, but I didn't like the 61s at all; but NONE had a setup off the wall that I liked, either. So that always kind of ruins it for me. I wish they wouldn't all have the action do damn high!

J.D.

1990 to early 1993. They had Les Paul MODEL on the headstock like the reissues.

jb_abides

I have 2:
- 2000 Goldtop '1960' with Ceramics and snotty green inlays
- 2018 Pelham Blue top with P90s

The 2000 is light, the wood seems akin to my Historic reissues, and the overall quality is great, and although it could be a great mod platform, it's been kept as-is. It's my first LP, so there's sentiment there. AFAIK it's pre-weight relief and in the low 8-lbs range. Very resonant. I was ga-ga over the neck, weight, overall feel and quality and 20 years later, still a great one. Searched entire east coast driving (remember MARS Music/Gibson alliance?) for a Lefty LP and this Classic "won" after extensive trials.

Not a super-connoisseur of Classic years but I've heard good things about the very early ones - per above - as well as these early 00s, including the Classic Plus / Premium Plus with the burst tops.

2018 has fantastic build quality, and despite QC hullabaloos I've had good luck in general and great luck with this one. Attraction was top notch LP with P90s. Box ticked. Love Pelham Blue, bonus.

Issue with 2018 is it's non weight-relieved and yup, it's 11+ pounds! Little piggy, but OK.

Truthfully. I pondered getting a 2017 given the quality of the 2018 and had thoughts of closeout Green monsters, or getting one to Mod/refin. But I passed..

I've tried and liked the 2019s (upside down and backwards in stores), with those specs. Attractive. Back to 9-hole weight-relief. BB 61s sound OK dialed in. Versatile pots, etc. What's not to like...?!

I am going to wait out a while and see if there's a Translucent Cherry available on closeout, even Goldtops...

GLWTSearch! :salude

Big Al

Why didn't you post in Sunburst Pub, instead of the Not a Les Paul pub?