• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Old Gibson ad

Cliff Gress

rG3TcyN.jpg

J T

Horner ran with that and Sir Paul made it famous.

Norton

It may look tame but don't underestimate the wall rattling power of a massive single coil!

Grog

These are solid Honduras mahogany. They can also be played standing upright with it’s telescoping end pin, but it is sort of awkward.

Norton

Yep, as Grog mentions it's a solid mahogany bass, the F-holes are strictly decorative. The body is around 2 inches thick and it weighs in at just over 9 lbs so it's nothing like the Hofners. The big ol single coil is surprisingly quiet and gives a nice rich tone. I'd actually love to try it out with one of those GA-90 amps mentioned in the old ad.

Grog

From what I understood, Felix Pappalardi's original EB-1 was stolen. It sounds like he had a hand in convincing Gibson to re-issue the bass in 1969. These weren't in production very long. They shipped 546 of the originals & only 473 of the re-issue.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
9K7MHNil.jpg
[/FONT]

Norton

That's a good looking reissue Grog! In spite of them having my least favorite bridge the reissues are great instruments. Perhaps a bit less refined sounding with the mudbucker but still can get some fun tones out of them. Felix definitely made the most of it!

Grog

I always wanted to acquire an original with that massive single coil pickup, unfortunately it never happened. I was able to buy a ‘59 EB-2 with one of the last of the single coils, just before they switched to the mudbucker. I can’t imagine any amp produced at that time doing a good job handling that ballsy pickup!