• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

ES-335 pickup recommendations for my 2013 Blonde

Pellman73

Hey y’all

I’ve got a 2013 Memphis TDN 1959 es-335

itss a gorgeous guitar. I was thinking of selling it because the neck is a little unwieldy (shoulders too broad for my my tastes) and it’s very wooooooofy, and woody— not enough bite for my tastes.

I’ve decided to go the other direction and have the neck reshaped and maybe put some different pickups in there.

Any recommendations? I was thinking of maybe some Wizzers but I was wondering if anyone has done this very experiment and had some good success (part of me wonders if taking some of the neck mass out will change the tone a little but I”m guessing its more just the pickups)

thanks!

mdubya

The Wolfetone pickups that I have tried have always stood out due to their excellent neutral and clear tones.

I have Tom Holmes in a thin neck 335 and they are bright and raunchy, bordering on "too much" but in certain situations they just plain deliver. I prefer warmer sweeter tones most of the time, though. These DO record particularly well and never fail to receive comments as such.

I am also a fan of Rewind Pickups. Tell James what you have and what you want and he will deliver.

JMHO.

renderit

Lollar Imperials.
They will MOST LIKELY be very piano like in lower volumes and bite when pushed to the upper realm.
I say MOST LIKELY because you never really know in every guitar, but they are excellent pups just the same.
Usually a little clearer than I like.
And you really have to push them hard to bite, but then they will take your head off.

LtKojak

I’ve got a 2013 Memphis TDN 1959 es-335. it’s very wooooooofy, and woody— not enough bite for my tastes.
What p'ups does it come with? If those are '57 Classics, read below:

Good news is, chances are, to sound as you'd like it to sound, all it needs is a good pro setup, made by an experienced luthier.

If you still want to change p'ups, then contact James Finnerty of Re-Wind p'ups, and he'll deliver.

HTH,

Elhorch

Hey y’all

I’ve got a 2013 Memphis TDN 1959 es-335

itss a gorgeous guitar. I was thinking of selling it because the neck is a little unwieldy (shoulders too broad for my my tastes) and it’s very wooooooofy, and woody— not enough bite for my tastes.

I’ve decided to go the other direction and have the neck reshaped and maybe put some different pickups in there.

Any recommendations? I was thinking of maybe some Wizzers but I was wondering if anyone has done this very experiment and had some good success (part of me wonders if taking some of the neck mass out will change the tone a little but I”m guessing its more just the pickups)

thanks!

Hi,

I put Throbak ESG-102B in my 335 about 5 years ago, based on John's recommendation and have never looked back, if you're interested in a video let me know and I'll post one.

Thanks.

Señor Verde

I have Wolfetone Legends in one of my ES-335 and it is bright, fat and clear. I really like them in that guitar. Same pickups in another '335 is a bit dark, but still clear. Wizz seems brighter and clearer, while still being very fat sounding. This was comparing the Wizz and Legends in the same Les Paul though.

metropolis

What pots come in those? If it's 300k changing them out for 500k pots might undo some of that woofiness.

Personally I've got Montys PAFs in a Les Paul which have a lot more bite and clarity than my other guitars (Burstbuckers, Lolar Imperials). Definitely on the 'fat tele' end of the spectrum.

mdubya

What pots come in those? If it's 300k changing them out for 500k pots might undo some of that woofiness.

Personally I've got Montys PAFs in a Les Paul which have a lot more bite and clarity than my other guitars (Burstbuckers, Lolar Imperials). Definitely on the 'fat tele' end of the spectrum.

I would be downright shocked if a 2013 ES 335 '59 RI did not have 500k and 50's wiring from stock. It would be an anomaly.

2013 was supposed to be an excellent year spec wise.

Pellman73

thanks everyone!

so I changed gears a little and I've sent it off to Kip Elder in Winter Park to give it a little neck shave. Its just unwieldy as hell at the 12th fret and beyond.

before I sent it I played it thru my Merc V and man I'll be dammned if it didn't sound good! everything sounds good through those amps.

Corpse also had good advice to mess w the eq on the amp a bit before doing anything too drastic

I do think its burstbucker 1 and 2 in there?

Sol

You might want to consider alternative magnets. There are many types and strengths to choose from and are far easier to experiment with than changing out various pickups, and far more cost effective.

There's no lack of expert advice on this forum where this is concerned, I'd encourage you to take advantage of this.