• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson les paul jr. VOS, CS differences

eggen.hw

I am orienting myself on a les paul jr. The differences in price and models are only running out. There is a Gibson LP jr. For 1390 euros, a Gibson LP jr. VOS for 2950 and a Gibson LP jr. CS for 3990 euros where i live ( the Netherlands ) Now I understand that there are differences in hardware, wiring, manual labour, etc. my question is how the wood is. Can an LP jr of 1390 euros with an aftermarket upgrade in hardware, wiring, nut etc. become as good as a Custom Shop or a VOS LP jr.? Is there a lot of difference between the price ranges in terms of wood quality? I liked the sound and feel of the cheap Gibson LP jr. a lot.

thanks for the help,

Texan

I think they're all good. I would get the standard model and be very happy with it.

CK6

I am orienting myself on a les paul jr. The differences in price and models are only running out. There is a Gibson LP jr. For 1390 euros, a Gibson LP jr. VOS for 2950 and a Gibson LP jr. CS for 3990 euros where i live ( the Netherlands ) Now I understand that there are differences in hardware, wiring, manual labour, etc. my question is how the wood is. Can an LP jr of 1390 euros with an aftermarket upgrade in hardware, wiring, nut etc. become as good as a Custom Shop or a VOS LP jr.? Is there a lot of difference between the price ranges in terms of wood quality? I liked the sound and feel of the cheap Gibson LP jr. a lot.

thanks for the help,

I think you could get a better deal if you bought a used 2010 satin finished Junior! I currently own a white version that has the ebony fingerboard and it sounds and plays great. I had it painted not so long ago, threw on some Grover tuners and different volume knobs but everything else is stock. I suspect you could probably pick it up for about €600-€700

Big Al

I think you could get a better deal if you bought a used 2010 satin finished Junior! I currently own a white version that has the ebony fingerboard and it sounds and plays great. I had it painted not so long ago, threw on some Grover tuners and different volume knobs but everything else is stock. I suspect you could probably pick it up for about €600-€700

This is not really in their league. There are big differences, most USA Jrs aren't.

The recent offerings are excellent. You will get a very good 50's Jr at any of those options. Historics are amazing. You have to compare to know.

Decide what it is and why you want a Jr and you'll have your answer. Same as Les Paul Standards. No amount of upgrades will make a Standard into an R9. If a R9 is what you want.

Texas Blues

I have a 2006 USA Jr.

Bone stock nekkid.

Offset 2 piece body.

Shitty looking stock compensated bridge.

Played through a 5e3.

Or a 5f1.

Or a '79 JMP 2204.

It has more tone.

More balls.

Than all of my other guitars.

My R4 is a hot vegas redhead $1,000 an hour hooker of tone.

And I love her.

But.

My cheapass plain jane girl next door USA Jr.

Is a cheatin' dirty talking housewife.

That will burn it all down.

RA003

my question is how the wood is.

Gibson's web site has allot of info on how the Custom Shop sources its own wood. The idea is to better replicate the instruments made in the 50's. What that is worth is up to the individual. There is no guarantee a custom shop will sound better then anything else.

If those were my choices I would buy the guitar that felt and sounded good. Then if you want, you can change out parts as you like. It can be allot of fun making it your own.

I would plan on putting as much effort into a good amp, just as important.

Tarcisioo

I don't know nowadays, but most Gibson USA guitars had some kind of weight relief on the body, while CS would use lighter solid pieces of wood. This is not for every case though, as Gibson USA also made solid bodies and CS also made guitars with weight relief

Big Al

WTF doesn't anyone read anymore? This is the old thread I pulled up atop the word for word new thread/different name repost below. ....