• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

NGD - 1997 LP Studio

Kahuna Nui

Hi everyone.

Just thought, as I've re-joined the ranks of Les Paul owners after 35 years, I'd join this forum instead of just lurking.

This is a 1997 Les Paul Studio, with irongear Alchemist pickups, which will be getting swapped out soon, possibly with Dimarzio PAF 59s.

IMG_20200118_060056.jpgIMG_20200118_060134.jpgIMG_20200118_060145.jpg

A couple of years ago, I bought this Schecter Blackjack from a friend for £200, but I didn't really get along with it:

IMG_20180306_151348.jpg

Another friend mentioned a couple of weeks later that he was interested in it, and would I consider a straight swap for his 1994 Fender Foto Flame Strat, with Bare Knuckle Irish Tour pickups. I noticed that the trem block had a trem arm broken off in it, but as it was a crappy cast one, I didn't mind. I swapped the whole bridge for a Wilkinson WV6, taking the total including the Schecter and bridge to £235

IMG_20180416_073305~01-01.jpg

A week ago, I decided I fancied a LP Studio, so I advertised my Strat on FaceBook Marketplace, asking if anyone was interested, expecting someone to maybe offer a recent Studio for the Strat and a couple of hundred quid.

Two days later, I got a call from a nice old chap who had a similar age Foto Flame, but with the common cracks in the photographic sheet, and wanted a clean version. Best of all, he was happy to do a straight swap!

Anyway, long (and probably boring) story short, I have a 1997 LP Studio that has cost me a total of £235.

It could do with a new set of saddles, and I want to swap the pickups, but it plays beautifully. It looks like it's been chewed by a dog around a few of the edges, but that just means I don't have to worry about chipping it, right?

Besides, I might have it refinished in Antigua Sunburst...

Oh yeah, a previous owner also fitted a set of gold Grover Rotomatics with black buttons. Bonus!

Kahuna Nui

Update: I posted the pickups for swaps on the Chapman Guitars website, and a mate offered me a straight up swap for a Gibson 500T and 496R, which are now sat in the guitar. It sounds like a "proper" Les Paul now!