• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

2019 Les Paul Classic - Neck Tone knob function (push/pull)

bobalu

Hi all,

A silly question for those owners of the 2019 LP Classic. (I am not electronically inclined....:dang)

The neck tone knob is identified as a push/pull for phasing. Is it only supposed to work on the neck pick-up? Mine does nothing for the bridge pickup and I don't know if that's normal/as designed. Feeling a bit dumb right now :##

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Phasing is a function between both pickups. So the toggle has to be in the middle and the volumes need to be pretty close to the same setting.

bobalu

Thank-you Tom!

If I can ask then, can a single humbucker be wired to switch phasing between the two coils? I just notice a change in tone on my neck pickup when I engage the neck tone pull-up. :hmm

Tom Wittrock

Les Paul Forum Co-Owner
Thank-you Tom!

If I can ask then, can a single humbucker be wired to switch phasing between the two coils? I just notice a change in tone on my neck pickup when I engage the neck tone pull-up. :hmm

Yes, I believe that is possible.
However, a normal phase switch is wired to one pickup, and when that pickup [alone] is played and the switch is thrown, you will here the switch but it should not affect the tone.
Put both pickups on and both with full volume. Throw the switch. It should be clearly different.