• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Picked Up Cherry 335 - Sell Epiphone Dot?

LP007

Hi All, as the title says I recently picked up a beautiful ES-335 in figured red....
Once you've finished drooling please help me with what to do next!
(Noob question - what's the easiest way to post pictures on here directly from an iPhone?)

Now I'm wondering what to do with my cherry red Epiphone Dot. As a lefty, these guitars are extremely rare, but with the Gibson playing and sounding better I'm thinking I should sell the Dot. But given the rarity of the lefty Dot, it would be very difficult and expensive to find another one if I ever wanted to. I bought this Dot because it was the first one I had ever seen in person in 20+ years.
From Youtube and online reviews you'll see how highly regarded these Korean made Dots are, and with a very limited supply values are creeping up all the time. Generally speaking, when I've been able to afford the Gibson version of a guitar I've sold the Epiphone, but this is different.

So should I keep the Dot as it's rare and very difficult to replace, or sell it because as a guitar it's inferior to my new Gibson?

Thanks in advance!

Wally

I would keep it. I would also put some better pickups in it. I find Korean Epi humbuckers to be lifeless and dark.

jrgtr42

I don't really like selling guitars - but...
Is the Epi a guitar that you still enjoy playing?
What is the rest of your stable like?
I do have an Epi Dot, though I don't have a Gibson 335.]
Nice player, though it's got a little fret issue I keep meaning to take care of....
I had a bone nut installed, and swapped the pickups to a Seth Lover in the neck and 57 Classic in the bridge.
Sounds way better than stock...

straightblues

I would keep it and put some different pickups in it. I would go for single coil humbucker sized pickups or some different flavored humbuckers. P90, filtertron, Gold Foil, or Dearmond. I have a cheap set of Surf 90 pickups in mine from Guitar Fetish that sound really nice.

Sol

Don't sell a guitar you love !
You now have two great guitars, and your Epiphone has a character all its own, just cause it's different from your new Gibson doesn't make it a lesser instrument.. Never forget; it's about the music not the gear used to make it.

BTW : Congratulations on your ES335 , you lucky so and so :hank

Don

I sold my Epiphone ES-335 Pro when I bought my Gibson ES-335, but I really could've kept it- they were different enough. Mine were at opposite ends of the ES-335 spectrum- the Epiphone was warm and woody, the Gibson more sharp and focused- like a fat Telecaster. I don't miss the Epi and don't regret selling it.
I you like the Epi and can afford to keep it, keep it. If you find you're not using it, sell it.

LP007

Thanks everyone for your advice. The Epiphone and Gibson are very different tonally so do offer something different (to each other and to my other guitars), so I think I'll keep the Dot and upgrade it over time. It is very resonant and loud when unplugged, so I'm sure a few mods would bring out the best of the instrument. Thanks

Sol

Thanks everyone for your advice. The Epiphone and Gibson are very different tonally so do offer something different (to each other and to my other guitars), so I think I'll keep the Dot and upgrade it over time. It is very resonant and loud when unplugged, so I'm sure a few mods would bring out the best of the instrument. Thanks

I applaud your wisdom