• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

R8 into a Vox AC10 - Great Cheap Crunch!

Cheap with respect to the amp at least :laugh2:

My new country-rock band has been busy writing songs so we can start gigging soon. We decided to throw some mics on our instruments, set up a camera and bash out our newest song, "West Texas Sun".

I plugged my R8 straight into my humble AC10 and threw an off-axis SM57 in front it of. I have to say, I think the rhythm tone sounds great to my ears! Bear in mind, we just wrote this track at our last rehearsal, and this is only our second time running it down. I'm not crazy about my playing on my solo. I wrote it the night before, so I still have some fine-tuning to do. All in all, though, I think the track is coming together nicely.

wulfthar

Vox ACs are my favourite all around amps, I have a MIE AC30 from the late 90s and it´s pretty good for clean but also distorted tone with something like a vintage MXR Distortion or a DOD250 overdrive grey box.

Ed Driscoll

Les Paul Forum Member
Song and its singer sound great. Nothing wrong with a Les Paul into a Vox!

i-2qVzz2c-L.jpg

Last edited:

El Gringo

Good Job, I like the song , the vocals are nice and was surprised , the guitar work was perfect and fit the mood and essence of the song perfectly . Very Good work !

Ken Fortunato

Administrator
Staff member
Cheap with respect to the amp at least :laugh2:

My new country-rock band has been busy writing songs so we can start gigging soon. We decided to throw some mics on our instruments, set up a camera and bash out our newest song, "West Texas Sun".

I plugged my R8 straight into my humble AC10 and threw an off-axis SM57 in front it of.
I have to say, I think the rhythm tone sounds great to my ears! Bear in mind, we just wrote this track at our last rehearsal, and this is only our second time running it down. I'm not crazy about my playing on my solo. I wrote it the night before, so I still have some fine-tuning to do. All in all, though, I think the track is coming together nicely.

YUP!!! Plug 'em straight in, toss an SM57 in front of it, and have at it... That's where it's at... The new song is very nice, by the way... :salude

18801193284_b977260a98_k.jpg

corpse

Holy shit- a country song!? No "light-metal"- no "rap".
I could do without the "pick-up truck" ref in the first line- but it is better that 97.6% of the new country I hear. Tasty lead. Tasty everything.

Thank you all for the kind words! Katelyn's a great singer/songwriter. We're throwing two covers into our set to begin with for a bit of padding. One of them is "Kid" by the Prentenders. Her voice is sooo well-suited to doing Chrissy Hynde's stuff.

I've always been a strat and tele player, but as this band's been coming together, I've been leaning towards using the R8. I'm not into pedals and pedalboards, but I might toss my old Dynacomp between the guitar and amp to boost solos. The solo tone on this recording sounds a bit strange/phasey, but that's only because I think our bass player added a very slight stereo delay to that section in the mix and may have panned it a bit differently.

johnreardon

Sounds great to me. I always play 'bareback' straight into my amps, never use pedals. I would be wary of the amp having enough headroom for a lot of gigs, even mic'ed up

Sounds great to me. I always play 'bareback' straight into my amps, never use pedals. I would be wary of the amp having enough headroom for a lot of gigs, even mic'ed up

Yes, I think you're probably correct, although it cleans up nicely with the volume knob. I've got a number of larger amps, but I love the idea of just being able to carry everything into the club in one trip, lol. I'm looking to do some coffee-house/open-mic shows to warm up our material live. I'll probably just use my R8 into my '73 Champ with my OCD to add just a bit of body and warmth. It's a big change from my days dragging my Marshall 2204 stack around!

Ace139

Great job, I really liked the song! Singer has a real nice voice, guitar sounded great - I knew it would VOX + LP = Awesome. I was just up to the player - and you nailed it! If you ever get a chance I bet a B3 in the mix would kill on that song. Keep it up :salude

Great job, I really liked the song! Singer has a real nice voice, guitar sounded great - I knew it would VOX + LP = Awesome. I was just up to the player - and you nailed it! If you ever get a chance I bet a B3 in the mix would kill on that song. Keep it up :salude

Thanks! Yes, when we actually record our songs, we'll probably bring in an organ player (we have a Hammond in our studio) and perhaps a pedal steel player for a bit of color on some stuff.

johnreardon

Yes, I think you're probably correct, although it cleans up nicely with the volume knob. I've got a number of larger amps, but I love the idea of just being able to carry everything into the club in one trip, lol. I'm looking to do some coffee-house/open-mic shows to warm up our material live. I'll probably just use my R8 into my '73 Champ with my OCD to add just a bit of body and warmth. It's a big change from my days dragging my Marshall 2204 stack around!

At my age I have the same idea, but as I own the PA, it takes more than a single trip. :) I use a 36w head and a couple of 1x12 cabs for most gigs, but occasionally use an 18w combo. My 15w Tiny Terror is a little bit too under powered.

Last edited: