• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

How to "re-VOS" an Historic?

wulfthar

That might appear a strange question as I found out a lot of threads about "de-VOSSing" your guitar, but perhaps I don´t dislike the slightly dull finish.

Unfortunately when I bought my used R0 I didn´t know if could be polished so easily, so as soon as I brought her home I changed the strings and performed the usual cleaning using the Gibson restoration kit (just the polish and the fretboard oil, not the metal polishing because I already suspected it would have removed the patina).

So, right now the guitar looks almost new...anybody has any secret recipe to give a slightly distressed look to our guitars?

corpse

Play it exclusively for six weeks- bingo.
Don't steel wool it- it is a goop the CS puts on there, just leave your right hand sweaty and put it back in the case after practice.

headcreeps

respectfully i think not cleaning the sweat is a bad idea as it will eventually eat through the finish

https://ibb.co/zx4Vj6t

reproducing that VOS goop would be better but no idea on how do it
i would also like to know, since someone polished my VOS nickel pickup covers, and now it looks a little off when compared to the rest of the hardware

wulfthar

respectfully i think not cleaning the sweat is a bad idea as it will eventually eat through the finish

https://ibb.co/zx4Vj6t

reproducing that VOS goop would be better but no idea on how do it
i would also like to know, since someone polished my VOS nickel pickup covers, and now it looks a little off when compared to the rest of the hardware

Yes especially if your sweat is acid it can go through the nitro, that is mostly seen on acoustics.

For me I just would like to have it less glossy and more dull, it´s clear the previous owner also cleaned it a bit (the guitar was sold in 2009, so it has been used for at least 10 years) so the goop has gone for good...perhaps Gibson should sell it as de-cleaner.:peace2

Nickel hardware is still slightly tarnished ( I noticed the patina and I didn´t use the product in the kit for the metal parts), especially the covers, therefore it gives the strange feeling of a new guitar with a new pair of Antiquities.

I would also be interested to get a set of slightly aged plastic parts, the pinned thread is good but I noticed it´s old, what´s the general consensus on best "old" parts?