• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Gibson Deluxe tuners v Grover Vintage Deluxe Tuners on 2006 SG Standard

Voxman

Hi folks,

I've never been 100% happy with the normal Deluxe Gibson tuners on my 2006 SG Standard - hard to explain, smooth to use but they seem too sensitive to movement. I didn't want to start drilling bigger holes or having non-original screw positions and wanted to keep the original 'Deluxe' look, so I was recommended to get a set of Grover 14:1 ratio Grover Vintage Deluxe tuners that are a direct drop in (for 10mm radius holes) and look identical that folk have said are a huge improvement.

I haven't yet opened the Grover packaging so can still get a refund on these. In my ignorance I thought that 14:1 was a better ratio than the Gibson tuners but having now taken one of the Gibson Deluxe tuners out I've discovered it's also 14:1. Folk who have made the change have all said the Grovers are a huge improvement. For those here that have made the change and to others knowledgeable here, please could you explain if the Grovers will be better and if so why, and why it's not just about the gear-ratio?

Many thanks

Rich

wulfthar

Ratio is not that relevant, the play between gears is more as well as the feeling of the tuners.

Any Kluson like tuner unless the diecast tonepros are open tuners and you can' t expect much improvement, that's the reason why in the 60 almost every pro players used Grover Rotomatics.

EFLOW

Choose KLUSON Revolution tuners.

1:19 high ratio, light weight, plug and play with Gibson Deluxe.

Perfect machine heads with a cool vintage design.

Last edited:

gibson-r8

I have a set of the Grover Vintage tuners for my LP Jr. build. Not installed yet but I am very impressed with their quality.