• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

My 70's era Les Paul Custom

becoolman

I'm being told online that this guitar is not a legit Gibson which is a bit of a concern as I bought it years ago. Here's what I know about it.

I bought it in the mid 2000's off the Jackson Charvel forum. It's a 1970's Gibson, either a 70 or 71 since I understand that serial numbers were inconsistent then. The headstock broke at some point and as I understand it, it was stripped so none of the parts are original aside from the nut. It had a Kahler installed and filled, Ace Frehlied with the 3rd pickup. I had a kill switch installed. The only thing original is the nut, body, and neck. I am sending an email to Gibson to review but was wondering your guys' opinion...

Pics below...
https://imgur.com/a/leOfSpc

20200118_204552158_iOS.jpg

guitplayer

serial # is missing a #. should be 6 total. All those 1`s look inconsistently shaped.
Of all those pics, try taking off the back plate (4 screws) and shooting a few.

becoolman

serial # is missing a #. should be 6 total. All those 1`s look inconsistently shaped.
Of all those pics, try taking off the back plate (4 screws) and shooting a few.

Thanks, I'm away from my home right now but will post that when I get back. What gives away on the backplate?

brandtkronholm

It looks legit to me. It's been through the ringer for sure!

There may be a sixth digit in that serial number that's obscured by the white paint or the lighting in the photographs. If I had to guess, I think I see the sixth digit to the left of the 11111; maybe 7? 2? Maybe that digit was never fully stamped into the guitar? (It could happen...?)

Taking off the back plate and posting pictures of the guts may tell us about how it was made and what kind of electronics were used. If it still has any of its Gibson parts, then we can get further info on what year (+/-) it was made. However, like you said, it's been modified and no original parts remain. (Really? Not even one?)

Pictures of the guitar with the pickups out would also help. A neck cavity shot is always helpful.

Cool guitar!