• Guys, we've spent considerable money converting the Les Paul Forum to this new XenForo platform, and we have ongoing monthly operating expenses. THE "DONATIONS" TAB IS NOW WORKING, AND WE WOULD APPRECIATE ANY DONATIONS YOU CAN MAKE TO KEEP THE LES PAUL FORUM GOING! Thank you!

Pickup dates?

joeperry

Hi,
I’ve recently bought a telecaster and Lately I’ve been curious to know if it has the original pu’s or if these have been changed. Is there anyway to determine the year of production of the pickups without unsoldering them or is that the only way to check this out?
A local guitar shop offers the service as I don’t have an ohm meter, but charges 150$ for such a checkup, so if there’s anyway I can check myself any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Torben

Elliesh7

Hi,
I’ve recently bought a telecaster mycfavisit and Lately I’ve been curious to know if it has the original pu’s or if these have been changed. Is there anyway to determine the year of production of the pickups without unsoldering them or is that the only way to check this out?
A local guitar shop tellgamestop offers the service as I don’t have an ohm meter, but charges 150$ for such a checkup, so if there’s anyway I can check myself any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards
Torben

I will advise you to go to the local shop if the guy there is really a professional. Don't compromise with a quality guitar for money.

Last edited:

Rich R

In the Zone/Backstage Pass
Torben, if you can, please be more specific. 90%+ of parts identification starts with the guitar itself: when was it made, what model (there were a LOT of Tele models :lol!), any important info, pics, etc...

Aloha_Ark

When I peruse listings on Ebay or Reverb, I look at the solder joints on the pots and 3-way switch or 5-way switch. Together with the pot codes and the color of the back of the pups, this is how I do a visual authentication.

If one is lucky enough to demo the guitar in person, then sound quality is all I need. A guitar that does not sound alive may as well be a ghost. While it is possible that a pickup is dying (weak magnet or short), there are other considerations like finish, body and neck authenticity that could top the condition of the pickup(s) when deciding to buy the instrument.

This is a good source of information on Fender pups (but it could have been better with some pics):

http://www.guitarhq.com/pickups.html

Over the years, Fender has employed some winders who mark their pickups with initials and a date. Abigail Ybarra is one of the most famous winders. Josephina is her apprentice. I would hope that AY trained Josephina to do the same.

As with all things Fender, expect to run across fakes in your lifetime. These are about the most heavily modified guitars of all time. I'm glad that Fender makes Custom Shop and Masterbuilt guitars, since paranoia/distrust runs deep in some collectors.